CCTV solution

Currently reading:
CCTV solution

Fred Mumford

The Ghost Abarth
Had a problem recently with stuff being stolen from our Fiats outside our house.
We had stupidly left the doors unlocked on two occasions over a couple of weekends and stuff was stolen on both. Now we live at the end of a cul-de-sac with only one house the other side of us.
So it seemed obvious that someone was checking our cars every weekend or was just remarkably lucky.
In short I was very angry about this as I already had a suspect in mind; my lunatic thieving scumbag dosser of a neighbour, I installed a CCTV system. A proper one it is too with full colour in the day and excellent B&W night vision.
The next weekend I caught the bastard on camera.
The Police were not interested.
But I have told him that I have CCTV installed. Now he knows he can't even leave the house without me knowing about it and there have been no more thefts.

Had a problem recently with stuff being stolen from our Fiats outside our house.
We had stupidly left the doors unlocked on two occasions over a couple of weekends and stuff was stolen on both. Now we live at the end of a cul-de-sac with only one house the other side of us.
So it seemed obvious that someone was checking our cars every weekend or was just remarkably lucky.
In short I was very angry about this as I already had a suspect in mind; my lunatic thieving scumbag dosser of a neighbour, I installed a CCTV system. A proper one it is too with full colour in the day and excellent B&W night vision.
The next weekend I caught the bastard on camera.
The Police were not interested.
But I have told him that I have CCTV installed. Now he knows he can't even leave the house without me knowing about it and there have been no more thefts.

Good for you Fred! :slayer:

I personally would have mailed a still from the video to the Scumbags house with a few choice cryptic words with a subtle hint so he'd get the message but good on you anyway! :cool:

Hope I'm just as lucky as you when I properly set up my small cctv for my scumbag of a neighbour. For three years now I've had to change my rear tyres because of screws appearing embedded in my tyres, each time they've appeared to have been gently screwed in so they embed as the tyre keeps rolling to give a puncture or worse (good that they're run on flat!) and one of my tyre guys says it's a co-incidence....:rolleyes:, er, yeah ok he's probably right... :p

I had a problem with scaratches mysteriously appearing on my wifes car and mine. So I installed overt CCTV with night vision, I also fitted a Security Light with camera from maplins, now if they want do do their dirty deeds they will have to step into the light and perform for the cameras. Scratches have now stopped.

I was desperately disappointed with the response from the Police. I give them the evidence, name and address of the thieving bastard and they do nothing.
These are the same people that damn near Tasered me when they were looking for him.

I told him that I'd caught him because I knew he would have to stop. He doesn't know the cops aren't interested. I'll tell him Mrs and sister-in-law one day too.

Over the years we've had the screw in the tyre and mystery dents in the doors etc...
I only had the 500 a couple of days before getting the compulsory screw in the tyre.

But anyway, here's another sad bit of news. I have put a deposit down on an Abarth so I rang my insurer and mentioned the CCTV only to be told that it counts for nothing.

I was desperately disappointed with the response from the Police. I give them the evidence, name and address of the thieving bastard and they do nothing.
Did you actually have CCTV of him breaking into the car, removing stuff and taking it back into his house? If so then I suggest you copy the relevant part on to a DVD and send it to the Divisional Commander for your area with a polite request for information as to why it wasn't sufficient for a prosecution. If that fails then repeat the exercise to the Chief Constable with a copy to the Chair of the Police Authority for your county.

If the CCTV just shows him looking into the car, thats not an offence.

turn the camera off and go pay him a visit with a big stick

Amazing how short some people's memories are. He got the full force of my garden spade when he dug up my roses and broadband cable 18 months ago.

As for the CCTV footage; I was just looking to catch who ever was doing it on the camera. I didn't feel comfortable with any form of entrapment so I didn't leave anything in the car. He just tries all the door handles to see if a car's been left unlocked. Then, if it has, he steals just about anything.
He knows there's a camera there now and I've told everyone on the street about it.

As for the CCTV footage; I was just looking to catch who ever was doing it on the camera. I didn't feel comfortable with any form of entrapment so I didn't leave anything in the car. He just tries all the door handles to see if a car's been left unlocked. Then, if it has, he steals just about anything.
No such thing as entrapment in UK law, thats an american concept. The UK view is that even if something is deliberately left in an unlocked car, anybody who sees it has the choice of nicking it or walking away.

Trying car door handles is an offence under s9 of the Criminal attempts Act 1981, its called vehicle interference. If convicted of trying a handle but unable to gain entry because it was locked, the suggested sentence IN COURT is a fine for a first conviction. In these days of targets for police its much more likely to result in a caution and not get anywhere near a court.

If it's got him in the act Fred, send a copy to Watchdog with your story about the Police not giving a tihs. They love that kind of stuff, might make ol' Red Robinson have a dig on your behalf and give the Met a kick in the backside...:p

It will shame your neighbour up bigtime too if broadcast :D
Although in retro, the knock-on effect is that it might escalate things aswell, making it uncomfortable to live in your own street with the stress of possible retaliation? Depends on how thick-skinned you are I guess.

Last edited:
Back