General Carrying bikes on an A500 with Skydome roof...

Currently reading:
General Carrying bikes on an A500 with Skydome roof...

griff74

Ok I know there have been threads about this before but does anyone have a proper solution for any kind of bike carrier to use on an A500 which has the Skydome opening glass roof?

We've got 2 full size mountain bikes that I used to put on my Thule bike rakes on my Thule roof bars on my Mazda 3, obv I can't do this on my A500 due to the Skydome not working with any of the roof bars I can find, also I can't use a boot mounted one (not that I would really want to as they do tend mark and scratch the paintwork) due to the spoiler, plus no tow bars seem to fit it either!

Also I'm in a similar situation with our Citroen DS4, the only roof bars I can find for it are the type that clamp down into the door jams, they tend to scratch as well plus the DS4 is a really tall car and don't fancy lifting 2 full size mountain bikes up onto it's roof!
It's the 200thp model, so no towbars seem to fit cos it's got a massive backbox on the exhaust, and again I don't want to scratch it using a boot mounted rack! :bang:

So come one, someone out there must have a solution?!?!? :D

Ok I know there have been threads about this before but does anyone have a proper solution for any kind of bike carrier to use on an A500 which has the Skydome opening glass roof?

We've got 2 full size mountain bikes that I used to put on my Thule bike rakes on my Thule roof bars on my Mazda 3, obv I can't do this on my A500 due to the Skydome not working with any of the roof bars I can find, also I can't use a boot mounted one (not that I would really want to as they do tend mark and scratch the paintwork) due to the spoiler, plus no tow bars seem to fit it either!

Also I'm in a similar situation with our Citroen DS4, the only roof bars I can find for it are the type that clamp down into the door jams, they tend to scratch as well plus the DS4 is a really tall car and don't fancy lifting 2 full size mountain bikes up onto it's roof!
It's the 200thp model, so no towbars seem to fit cos it's got a massive backbox on the exhaust, and again I don't want to scratch it using a boot mounted rack! :bang:

So come one, someone out there must have a solution?!?!? :D

sorry dude, dont have an answer re the bike carrier but I have a slightly off topic question - does your sunroof rattle?? Mine does intermittintly when closed and open on tilt, seems to come from passenger side just over sunvisor area. Just curious to know if yours is rattle free? cheers!

Mine only seems to rattle when it's opened fully (and then only when going over bumps), tbh I don't think I've ever driven with it just tiilted so it may well do it then, it perfectly silent when it's closed though! :)

… does anyone have a proper solution for any kind of bike carrier to use on an A500 which has the Skydome opening glass roof?

IIRC from reading the manual, putting a roof rack on a Skydome equipped 500 is strictly verboten. Something with structural integrity and/or the glass roof hitting the stuff on top. Heck, you don’t even get the passenger side handle with the Skydome.

… does your sunroof rattle?? Mine does intermittintly when closed and open on tilt

Mine doesn’t rattle, but I close it whenever I ride over bumpy stuff, cobblestones etc. If there is rattle, that means there’s play in the mechanical bits, and the rattle will make that worse. I’d have it checked to prevent further damage.

Mine doesn’t rattle, but I close it whenever I ride over bumpy stuff, cobblestones etc. If there is rattle, that means there’s play in the mechanical bits, and the rattle will make that worse. I’d have it checked to prevent further damage.

Thanks, it's intermittent so very hard to pin down, I've tried to isolate wind deflector etc using blutac, velcro etc to no avail. I have noticed two things though - first is when closed or in tilt mode, the glass seems to sit a bit higher against the little front rubber seal on the passenger side corner of the glass (which rattles) compared to drivers side which does not rattle. Secondly, when fully open I notice if you grab the glass there is a bit of front/back movement or play, does yours do this? I wonder is there a line up / calibration procedure for these roofs? It's certainly not bad enough to be causing any damage but just a bit annoying in a new car. Anyway thanks for the feedback and I dont want to hog the OP's thread!:)

Back