Technical Carb reconditioning kits

Currently reading:
Technical Carb reconditioning kits

I've never seen a carb that actually NEEDED a complete rebuild, Fiat does sell a rebuil kit as does Weber. There are only three gaskets and jets included. Why do you think you need a rebuild.:confused:

im pretty sure my idle jet and vacuum unit on the back of my carb are screwed, can play about alot sometimes.

new fuel filter should be due tomorrow, but the carb is the only thing i havent replaced/reconditioned since i got the car, and still have intermittant problems.

luke1985 said:
im pretty sure my idle jet and vacuum unit on the back of my carb are screwed, can play about alot sometimes.

new fuel filter should be due tomorrow, but the carb is the only thing i havent replaced/reconditioned since i got the car, and still have intermittant problems.

Try to take it apart and give it a good clean, then you will know exactly what needs replacing.

luke1985 said:
Trouble is, knowing my luck if i take it apart i'll break something, then i'll be up S**t street cos i need my car. If i got the kit i can do it without so much worry :)

There isn't a lot to break on a carb as it's made of metallic components with the exception of the plastic float.

luke1985 said:
Where 'bouts can i get one from for my 999cc carb?

Needs a new vacuum unit on the back, gaskets and whatever crap that goes with it (floats??)

I bought one from my FIAT dealer a couple of years ago. Cost about £16 if I remember correctly. And the one bit you DON'T get with the kit is the float!

Pretty easy to pull apart and rebuild, it's only a single choke carburetor with manual choke after all. If you want complication, try rebuilding a Rochester Quadrajet four barrel carburetor with auto choke like I had to do on an American car a few years back! That was like - HOW MANY screws/ springs/ diaphragms/ jets/ valves etc. etc. etc.!

Things to watch out for when rebuilding the FIAT carburetor is to be VERY careful when handling the float as it can get damaged easily. Also, to change the needle valve you have to push out the brass pins that hold the float in place. Be VERY careful as the posts they are pushed into can break if you are heavy handed. And as they are part of the carburetor body once they break they can't be repaired.

Other than that it's just a case of making sure everything is clean and all gasket material is removed from the mating surfaces. Then reassemble with new gaskets and screw it back together. Oh, and check the float height first before reassembly!

Back