Technical Carb rebuild

Currently reading:
Technical Carb rebuild

F30Msport

I am thinking about rebuildng the carb soon. Another new experience for me, and I'm looking at the rebuild kit options. Any suggestions on why to get this:

https://m.mrfiat.com/italian/fiat/f...-f-l-carburetor-repair-kit-without-shaft.html

Vs this:

Obviously the second is a lot more detailed, but what might drive which is necessary vs which is a good idea?

I'm leaning towards the latter since I have to take it apart anyway, but tell me otherwise if it's not necessary.

I am thinking about rebuildng the carb soon. Another new experience for me, and I'm looking at the rebuild kit options. Any suggestions on why to get this:

https://m.mrfiat.com/italian/fiat/f...-f-l-carburetor-repair-kit-without-shaft.html

Vs this:

Obviously the second is a lot more detailed, but what might drive which is necessary vs which is a good idea?

I'm leaning towards the latter since I have to take it apart anyway, but tell me otherwise if it's not necessary.
Personally unless car is high mileage and had a hard life, or you know there is wear in the throttle spindle etc. causing an air leak, then the basic kit of gaskets with a new needle/float jet should be sufficient. Obviously remove all jets and clean carb thoroughly and ensure all mating surfaces are clean and flat before reassembly.
At the end of the day the choice is yours and you know your level of competence.;)
I would say disturbing throttle spindles unless worn can escalate the fun, with snapped screws, bending brass spindles, misaligning throttle plates etc.

Thanks! Got it. Just ordered the simpler kit, as well a few other items. Thank god these are small, simple vehicles!!

This will be another first for me so I am hoping there is a good YouTube video for the carb rebuild!!

Thanks! Got it. Just ordered the simpler kit, as well a few other items. Thank god these are small, simple vehicles!!

This will be another first for me so I am hoping there is a good YouTube video for the carb rebuild!!
As long as you take your time and a few photos maybe as you go along.:)

Any suggestions on carb cleaner products? I don't have a dip tank so I'll need a spray can of something good. What kind of brush is safe to use on the carb for any buildup?

Any suggestions on carb cleaner products? I don't have a dip tank so I'll need a spray can of something good. What kind of brush is safe to use on the carb for any buildup?
There should be plenty of throttle body type cleaner sprays at car accessory store, just don't get it in your eyes and maybe wear gloves etc. An old toothbrush is good for cleaning. Don't forget to clean out all the holes, jets and airways etc.

Brass brushes wont damage the carb if you need something a bit more aggressive. But my typical go to is to retire the old toothbrush and go at it.
Carb cleaner can be aggressive to the skin, so yes gloves are recommended as suggested above.

A can of brake cleaner is also helpful and can be cheaper if you cant get carb/throttle body cleaner. The ones with the plastic straw usually have good pressure, and work great for cleaning out the small passages.

So I got the carb off and cleaned. The base plate has a little chunk missing from the underside, so I guess that's getting ordered today. The gaskets needed replacing for sure. Otherwise, it's pretty clean.

Oh yeah, now I need to replace the valve cover gasket too...

Attachments

• 20221014_201601.jpg
    20221014_201601.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74
So I got the carb off and cleaned. The base plate has a little chunk missing from the underside, so I guess that's getting ordered today. The gaskets needed replacing for sure. Otherwise, it's pretty clean.

Oh yeah, now I need to replace the valve cover gasket too...
Wheb replacing the rocker-cover (aka, valve-cover) use the RUBBEROID type gasket and NOT the cork type. The cork-type get sqeezed out as you tighten the rocker-cover down and eventually split

While you have it apart place the base on a piece of glass or a flat steel plate to check for warpage on the base. Pretty common and will drive you nuts during tuning if you don't see it first. Yours appears pretty flat in the picture at least.

Back