Car PC / Playstation 2

Currently reading:
Car PC / Playstation 2

OXCiD3 said:
only downside is the fact that to change tracks etc, i need to use the xbox controller, i'm looking in to taking one apart and mounting it as a steering wheel control, but this seems near impossible to do...

just put jimmy carr on :D genius!

I think steering wheel mounted controls can be a bit of a pain tbh. i use the playstation controller at the moment, and when the laptop is installed, i'll use a keyboard with integrated trackball combo.

Wireless controllers like this would fit nicely in a doorpocket :) I reckon I'd only be operating the system when parked, so no problem. I set satnav stuff before starting on my journey, i play games when im parked, i watch dvds when im parked... music, well, i currently play mp3 cds through the headunit, so i guess that's classed as setting up a ten cd playlist before i set off? I don't change cd's when the car is in motion (honest :eek:)

Since I only have music I actually like in the car, I rarely ever skip tracks lol!

I need to get some audio standup mp3s tbh, would do me nicely on long journeys! Jimmy Carr, genius, 'am we gramer letting us down?'

Cheers Guys.

Im gettin more and more intrested in this idea as the days go on!

MrDT: I think ur right about not having a machine that will run HL2/BF2 style games. But havin 120gb Hard Drive would be lovely for sound system, connected to 7.2inch touch screen(solving track changing problems)
Keep the idea's coming guys!

platty599 said:
Cheers Guys.

Im gettin more and more intrested in this idea as the days go on!

MrDT: I think ur right about not having a machine that will run HL2/BF2 style games. But havin 120gb Hard Drive would be lovely for sound system, connected to 7.2inch touch screen(solving track changing problems)
Keep the idea's coming guys!

this is defo the way foreward!

This way you can make your own software to run it, and peronalise it to you car!

Im having one problem though at the moment and that is trying to work out how and where im going to fit it, i mean the glove compartment is probably the best place, yet i feel sumwhat like im putting all that money into something that could quite easily be nicked. I have a Stilo on a 05 plate and its secure with alarm and all that but how secure.
Im still going to look into it

Just had an email back off a guy called Seb. Friendly enough. He sent me a link to a product on his site - http://www.avrio.co.uk/acatalog/Fanless_.html
It only has a 4gb hard drive but then it came to me. Something hit me. As long as i can install Windows XP on then thats all that matters.....Whats this, has Strangeways599 gone mad i hear u ask, no. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE! If i can fit attach an external hard drive to the back then i can store all my music on there. Thus also solving the problem of leaving a computer lying around in my glove compartment. I will keep u all posted!

OXCiD3 said:
only downside is the fact that to change tracks etc, i need to use the xbox controller, i'm looking in to taking one apart and mounting it as a steering wheel control, but this seems near impossible to do...

Easy :D You do the good old controller hack - dont cut up the controller and try and mount it to the steering wheel. instead have 2 small buttons from something (maplins special or current steering wheel controls or aftermarket nos buttons etc) and wire these into the xbox controller so that when you press the button on the steering wheel, the xbox thinks you have pressed the relevant button on the controller. Kinda destroys a controller, but 10x easier to mount - which is how most of the people have fixed their steering wheel controls to their PC - just instead of using an xbox controller on the xbox, they use a usb gamepad on the carPC :)

I assumed he'd be doing the joypad hack anyway? I just don't like controls on the steering wheel, but i guess I'm weird :p

I'd definately prefer a touchscreen monitor, but you're looking to pay a fair whack for a lilliput. The crappy screen i got cost next to nothing on ebay, and the whole idea for me is to build a satnav unit that costs less than a tomtom ;)

Since I enter my destination before setting off, this is no biggie. In theory, since i play games and watch dvds when parked i'm ok, and setting up a playlist before starting a journey means i won't need to mess about with track skipping.

Of course, a passenger could always be in control of the keyboard if they like, allowing them to play a game of mario or something during a long journey (I need to figure out alternative screen mount positions ie I shouldn't be able to see the screen when driving if I'm going to allow them to do this.... you'll always be drawn to watching the moving pictures on the screen!!!)

Anyway, here's some pictures of the console in place, wires except for the one screen cable all hidden, nice easy power swith to control the whole thing, and the screen temporarily mounted.

pict0013ck5.jpg

pict0014li0.jpg

pict0011yt3.jpg

The screen works perfectly in that position, and since I don't want to fabricate any interior fiberglass sections for now (the screen should be removable, along with the pc and ps2!!) that's where it's going to stay.

Sadly, it doesn't stay in place when I'm really driving. It comes crashing to the floor :eek: I need to figure out a decent mounting solution that is removable, and doesn't damage the interior in any way. Not as easy as it might sound!

Since someone's bound to ask, my current dodgy mounting solution is a couple of cuphooks on the back of the screen which then hold onto the heater grille. Ghetto, maybe, effective, well, yes, kinda (just don't corner too harshly lol!)

Anyway, progress is good :) There won't be much more for a while though, a week in spain followed by a week creating a masterpiece halloween costume (I'll save it for another thread ;)) ahead of me :D

Nice to see people interested in car pc's coming out the woodwork, if you get started on a project, be sure to link your thread in here (y)

dude its looking sweet (y) :slayer:

mine aint going very far as i dont want to do it in the panda if i change car when i pass, ive got a pc i can use and mess about with for now until i cna save up for a itx and such, just need to buy a monitor and i should be sorted (y)

good lukc guys

J

Where bouts did u get ur Monitor from?
Would much prefer a touch screen but will do with what i can get hold of to start with. I reckon u might want to look at getting a Infa-red Keyboard & Mouse. I know thats what i will be getting!

MrDT said:
I'd definately prefer a touchscreen monitor, but you're looking to pay a fair whack for a lilliput. The crappy screen i got cost next to nothing on ebay, and the whole idea for me is to build a satnav unit that costs less than a tomtom ;)

id hazard a guess at ebay maybe? lol

Ahhhh finaly a Forum post which is more me !!!!

I fort about acutlay just buildiing the pc in to the spare wheel section of the car, Could easily create a case unit to fit in there, But then i fort about cooling issues in there and fort problery do able but not wise, Even thou im using a pattened design on air flow which may i add no one else can use other wise i will sue your ass :p

Then i fort ive got a whole side of the passenger dash which never gets used, Does any one know if a slim line laptop would fit on to a automatic slider, Hidden behind the dash, So that when you press a button the dash would fold down and the laptop would slide out !! If so i would be very happy to hear how you did this and how you managed to get it all up and running, Ive got the laptop waiting to try it but not too sure where to start cutting out dash area lol,

I live in a dodgey area so have a full viewable computer some where in the car would just get broken in too, even if it was bolted to the floor they would still give it ago just to try and get to it, So only showable on request would be better for me.

I have boot space left but its going to be taking by a second and third sub also a boot build will be going in there so dont want to really be putting it in there since would take hours to remove every thing just to get to it,

Ive seen plenty of these laptops that our hidden in the passenger seats, Na not me like and dont think the misses would like having to sit in the back of the car just so i could play a game lol or some music,

Also want the laptop to be connected to multi screens with in the car, All ready have a 6 way screen spliter ready for the fitting, 1 in the boot on the lid so when you open it folds down in to view, 1 on back of driver seat 1 on passenger, 1 on dash for when laptop is hidden, And thats about it and the 2 spare connectors well who knows where ever fits the bill really.

But all in all laptop computer in my car would be me down to a tea, For all you putting PCs units in your car, Lol dont forget to glue the internal screws in so they dont pop out on you. 60% of PC damage comes from transporting the item ! :p

I tell you what i love the spare wheel idea, if it were me, i'd get an old tire, and build the case inside that, would look good aswell, and if you had a central fan, cooling wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Also please for gods sake use proper english... or at least say thought, instead of fort... a fort is a castle... :p :p

Back