Car Dealer to avoid:- Canfield Garage Essex

Currently reading:
Car Dealer to avoid:- Canfield Garage Essex

A used car dealer to avoid in Essex is Canfield Garage (trading name, actual company is Listons Ltd). I visited them nearly a year ago to look at an Alfa 159 wagon. It was not prepared yet and I wasn't happy with it. I did however look at a Dodge Journey SXT CRD Automatic reg. KT08 GKA (slight Fiat connection, the Journey was the basis for the Fremont). It had a couple of issues including corroded alloys and faulty tire pressure warning (missing transmitter). They agreed to sort these and when I asked they confirmed that the wheel refurbishment included power coating. After a short test drive (it had no fuel in it and it and I don't know the area) I paid a deposit. They called to say it was ready and I went to pick it up. I should have known then, it wasn't ready and the TPWS sensor had not been replaced. We went to do the paperwork and I was told that they only had one key and had lost the owners handbook. They promised to get replacements and the TPWS sensor. They were running late so I let it ride. On the trip home it became apparent that there was an intermittent judder from the transmission (6 speed GETRAG DSG). I called the garage in the morning and they said they would look at it when the TPWS came in and they would call me. No call, so I called them, part was in so an appointment made. Called the day before to confirm (they are 40 miles from me) and they said they were closed tomorrow. New appointment made. In meantime it became apparent that they had also lost the service booklet, the wheels had just been sprayed over, including balance weights, the one remote key was intermittent, they had not completed the warranty paperwork and the drivers electric window would not go up on a cold (not freezing) day. Again called to confirm appointment and when they finally answered they said they had no loan car. Discussion and emails ensued. They denied having said the wheels would be power coated or that it was advertised with two keys and service history (I have copies of the ebay and autotrader ads) and having totally lost faith in them and the car I said I was rejecting the car and wanted a full refund. They declined. I pointed out their obligations under the Sale of Goods Act and I would take legal action. No response most of the time. I then filed a Small Claim online. Still refused to refund (I even gave the options of reduced refund to account or miles driven, a different car of same value from their stock, another Journey from a different dealer or they pay for a repair). Case went ahead and the prevaricated and delayed at every stage. Judge took 10 minutes to find in my favour. Canfield delayed again but I finally got the money paid, plus costs and expenses, today. Basically once they got my money they did not want to know. They currently have two 500s on their books. I suggest that you do a lot of inspection and research before you buy from Canfield Garage at Unit 1 Hales Farm , High Cross Lane East, Little Canfield Essex, CM6 1TQ

Sorry to hear that, at least you got your money back in the end. My cousins is in a similar to the position you found yourself in, he bought an 09 reg van and a month into ownership he took it to a garage for some work to which they discovered the whole underside was completely rotten and rusted through and so was deemed structurally unsafe. Car dealership wont even respond to the letters so he's having to go through trading standards and buy another van so he can continue to work in the meantime. Some dealerships literally dont care about ripping their customers off, just the way it is!

Buyers be aware of this seller, I had a very bad experience with them when purchasing Mercedes E class for nearly £8000. Problems started straight away when I picked up my car from the garage,Matt and Gary gave me MOT certificate unfortunately the car lights were adjusted to the sky, different tyre rates on each side, the rear left tyre was not even legal to drive, break parts completely gone (no idea how the car passed MOT with issues like those) the car was jumping each time it was stopped, I rang Gary he said all cars do the same thing, went to the local workshop to change all four tyres,to adjust the lights, to replace the breaks and change the gear box oil which sorted the car jumping problem straight away. For all of these jobs I paid from my own pocket. Later on appeared the main issue, car lost it's power, I took the car back to Canfield garage as it was still on warranty, Gary promised to sort the problem in 3 days. Unfortunately, Gary and Matt kept on telling me they are still waiting for a part to arrive which was the turbo charger activator which was coming from Lithuania and that took nearly 3 weeks, they kept on lying that someone was working on the car, another time they said that they are still waiting for the car part to be delivered. They told me if I will take the car to the Mercedes dealer they will not pay, if I'm going to go to an independent garage they will pay for part but not the labour. Gary on the phone promised me £300, when I arrived he gave me a cheque for £250. He kept on blaming his mechanic Paul for a very slow service and when I spoke to Paul, Paul blamed Gary, he told me he does everything what Gary tells him to do. Turbo activator does not sell separately it comes together with turbo which costs over £1000 without labour. When the car broke down I asked for recovery they said I have to pay extra also there was no car replacement for 3 weeks, there was no service history book provided even though they said it was available ,intel port shut off motor broke down also the car had some suspension problems as well and they refused to give me back my refund. Buyers be very careful with these sellers, I found them very unfair and unhelpful, wouldn't recommend for anyone, once they have your money, they don't want to know about any problems. This is the worst car I have ever bought and worst people I have ever dealt with.

Buyers be aware of this seller, I had a very bad experience with them when purchasing Mercedes E class for nearly £8000. Problems started straight away when I picked up my car from the garage,Matt and Gary gave me MOT certificate unfortunately the car lights were adjusted to the sky, different tyre rates on each side, the rear left tyre was not even legal to drive, break parts completely gone (no idea how the car passed MOT with issues like those) the car was jumping each time it was stopped, I rang Gary he said all cars do the same thing, went to the local workshop to change all four tyres,to adjust the lights, to replace the breaks and change the gear box oil which sorted the car jumping problem straight away. For all of these jobs I paid from my own pocket. Later on appeared the main issue, car lost it's power, I took the car back to Canfield garage as it was still on warranty, Gary promised to sort the problem in 3 days. Unfortunately, Gary and Matt kept on telling me they are still waiting for a part to arrive which was the turbo charger activator which was coming from Lithuania and that took nearly 3 weeks, they kept on lying that someone was working on the car, another time they said that they are still waiting for the car part to be delivered. They told me if I will take the car to the Mercedes dealer they will not pay, if I'm going to go to an independent garage they will pay for part but not the labour. Gary on the phone promised me £300, when I arrived he gave me a cheque for £250. He kept on blaming his mechanic Paul for a very slow service and when I spoke to Paul, Paul blamed Gary, he told me he does everything what Gary tells him to do. Turbo activator does not sell separately it comes together with turbo which costs over £1000 without labour. When the car broke down I asked for recovery they said I have to pay extra also there was no car replacement for 3 weeks, there was no service history book provided even though they said it was available ,intel port shut off motor broke down also the car had some suspension problems as well and they refused to give me back my refund. Buyers be very careful with these sellers, I found them very unfair and unhelpful, wouldn't recommend for anyone, once they have your money, they don't want to know about any problems. This is the worst car I have ever bought and worst people I have ever dealt with.

welcome to the forum, did you pay any of the £8000 with a credit card by any chance?

If you paid by credit card, even just the deposit as long as it's over £100, The credit card company is also liable and are more likely to refund your money. From experience, the only way to get your money back is through the small claim court. Make sure you claim for interest, it will take a year to get get your money back. When I took them to court they delayed, lied, and prevaricated as much as possible. If you have rejected the car Do NOT take take it back on their property untill you have confirmed funds in your account. If you want to check on their record search for Listons ltd (their official company name, at least till january this year, any legal papers need to be in this name with the addition of "trading as Canfied Garage).
Good luck.

Keep careful note of what you do/any costs incurred/time length. They sound a dodgy bunch.

Before you jump straight to court, other actions are available (negotiation, mediation, etc.), but i suspect if you send them a letter informing them you're considering legal proceedings they'll probably suddenly become very helpful (i've done this before even with no intention of going through court!).

Bit of advice; pop into a local Citizens Advice Bureau if you get a chance - honestly can't recommend it enough. They should be able to give you a lot of information and tailor it to your situation.

Hope you get it resolved!

Before you jump straight to court, other actions are available (negotiation, mediation, etc.), but i suspect if you send them a letter informing them you're considering legal proceedings they'll probably suddenly become very helpful !

Sorry to say I've been in the same situation with this same garage (Canfield) and Gary Kitely is highly unlikely to become helpful in any way other than to prevaricate and drag things out as long as possible. I gave him evey option, except his workshop touching the car, this included refunding the purchase price I'd paid less an amount for mileage covered, another car of similar value from stock, repair by an independant garage, supply of a replacement vehicle of the ame type from another dealer. Nothing was acceptable to him. We tried court directed mediation and they were over half an hour late calling into a fixed 1 hour phone in session. Again he would not accept anything suggested by the mediator. Just time wasting again. Even when we won the case he prevaricated and used the old "I did not know about it" excuse. Transfering to the High Court and appointing an enforcement agency finally did the trick. It cost him at least 50% more than the price of the vehicle. I got all that I paid plus costs and expenses.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Sorry to say I've been in the same situation with this same garage (Canfield) and Gary Kitely is highly unlikely to become helpful in any way other than to prevaricate and drag things out as long as possible. I gave him evey option, except his workshop touching the car, this included refunding the purchase price I'd paid less an amount for mileage covered, another car of similar value from stock, repair by an independant garage, supply of a replacement vehicle of the ame type from another dealer. Nothing was acceptable to him. We tried court directed mediation and they were over half an hour late calling into a fixed 1 hour phone in session. Again he would not accept anything suggested by the mediator. Just time wasting again. Even when we won the case he prevaricated and used the old "I did not know about it" excuse. Transfering to the High Court and appointing an enforcement agency finally did the trick. It cost him at least 50% more than the price of the vehicle. I got all that I paid plus costs and expenses.

Robert G8RPI.

Shame really. It's these kind of people that bring the trade into disrepute.

At least you won in the end and he paid all fees. (y)

Back