Car Alarm and Thatcham explained

Currently reading:
Car Alarm and Thatcham explained

MR_TOAD_INSTALLER

Car Alarms explained I.E. Thatcham Catagorys
Security guide for Alarms and Immobilisers

Thatcham is Insurance recognised industry standard for Alarm company’s to Manufacture to and this standard is now widely used by Insurance company’s on various Performance cars

Most cars after 1997 Had Thatcham category 2 Immobilisers fitted as Standard unless they were imported thus Insurance Company’s requesting a Thatcham product to be fitted

Thatcham Category 2
This is a Passively arming immobiliser that the user had to use either a touch key or Transponder ( chip ) on key ring to turn off the user does nothing to arm it this will do it its self after 30 seconds after ignition is switched off

Thatcham Catagory 2 - 1
This is a Catagory 1 alarm but with no Immobilisation upgrading the Factory 2 Immobiliser to a Catagory 1 alarm and may use Seperate remote controls or factory remotes

Thatcham Category 1
This is an Alarm and Immobiliser
Based on the Thatcham Immobiliser it builds up to a full alarm system consisting off the following
Perimeter protection i.e. doors boot and bonnet
Ultrasonic interior protection for movement detection i.e. Glass or doors being bent back to gain access to the door buttons
Flashes indicators as a visual indication on arm disarm and trigger
Is encased in a steel box and has a battery back up siren to protect from battery disconnection
And is remotely operated via a fob

Thatcham Category 3
These are mechanically operated i.e. Steering locks handbrake locks etc

Thatcham Category 4
Wheel locking devices i.e. Security Nuts or Bolts

Thatcham Category 5
These are Tracking Devices again will generally be asked for by insurance company’s on High value cars

Hope this will be a bit of interest understanding the types of Insurance groupings of the Thatcham Criteria

There are still a lot of Quality alarms that don’t make Thatcham as they were aimed at the not lower market but ones of lesser risk or on a more competitive basis

Regards Ian a.k. MR_TOAD

Back