Technical Canvas hurting soft top frame (old frame)

Currently reading:
Technical Canvas hurting soft top frame (old frame)

The 1995 barchetta soft top frame is tough on the canvas. This is mainly caused by the canvas getting pinched (by the frame) near the different hinges when being folded down. To remedy this elastic bands and foam plastic padding was added. 27 years later these are no longer up to snuff and need to be renewed by yours truly.

For those of you who have already travelled this road, what materials/solutions did you use?

Elastic bands:
The old elastic bands are 30mm wide. Is this a sufficient width or did you use some other width? Is there any special quality of elastic bands to be used for soft tops (UV-light resistance and/or with stated contraction strength) or just your regular run of the mill elastic bands?

Scissor sharp frame edge:
In the picture below, near a frame hinge, inside the green circle you can (hopefully) see a sharp metal edge on the frame that cuts through the canvas when pinched stuck. The light grey material on both sides of the sharp edge is old foam plastic that has been nicely cut in two. I have two holes/cuts on the soft top thanks to these edges. How do you keep the canvas from being pinched there and how did you deal with the sharp edges?
(With the soft top mounted to the frame and the frame mounted to the b, it is not all that easy to access the area.)

thumbnail_IMG_1276.jpg

For (real fiberglass) boats you have edging(?), but I don't think one of those would stay put with regular up/down movement of the soft top. The minimum edge width is 1mm, I believe the metal is thinner on the barchetta soft top frame. Perhaps glue?
Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 19.26.43.png
Ideas and feedback are more than welcome!
Thanks,
T

No need for bands or padding of any kind.
Just stick to these simple rules, and teach them to whoever else uses your car:
- When folding the hood, be careful not to let canvas get caught in the hinges. Just pull the canvas a bit away from the "scissors" with your fingers.
- Also pay attention to the plastic window to fold properly.
- When leaving car in the garage, always pull up the hood, but leave it loose, don't lock the latches on top of windshield. Leave the hood compartment lid in vertical position, to allow the compartment area to dry.

No need for bands or padding of any kind.
Just stick to these simple rules, and teach them to whoever else uses your car:
- When folding the hood, be careful not to let canvas get caught in the hinges. Just pull the canvas a bit away from the "scissors" with your fingers.
- Also pay attention to the plastic window to fold properly.
- When leaving car in the garage, always pull up the hood, but leave it loose, don't lock the latches on top of windshield. Leave the hood compartment lid in vertical position, to allow the compartment area to dry.
Thanks for taking the time wapper! I’m glad you have found a method that works for you.

To the contrary I would like to see the b function painlessly (as much as possible). The car will be owned and driven by a carefree youngster (as her first car). Therefore I’m (still) looking for assistance on solutions to these two (design flaws) issues.

Thanks,
T

Back