Technical Can someone tell me what this is near the spark plugs

Currently reading:
Technical Can someone tell me what this is near the spark plugs

Walkerj6

My car smells of fuel when it runs. Im new to the Fiat world, but enjoy working on this classic! There is this connection that runs across and above the spark plugs. Im thinking there should be something there as it was smoking a little when i stopped. Can someone tell me what this is or what should be there? Its a 1977 Fiat Spider 124

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Mine is a '79, so I'm not positive of the ID, but I can tell you for sure that this is the remains of an air injection system. Either exhaust recirc., or air injection. It should be plugged, unless you plan on restoring this part of the emissions control system,...
Exhaust gasses are coming from the tube, and should not be. Probably why your car smells of fuel vapors,...

Thank you both for the advice and insight. I will check it out later and just plug it if i dont see any connection to the filter.

My cars' P.O. had neglected the exhaust recirc. system, and hot exhaust gasses were moving past the leaking reed valves that the car was equipped with, directly into the air cleaner. The resulting air filter fires caused the car to be PARKED.
Your car must have had a similar system - check to see if exhaust gasses are emitted from the pipe when the car is idling,...you'll be able to tell!
I plugged mine at the openings in the head.

Found the 'low down' in my Fiat Spider Shop Manual.
From '75 - '78, the Spiders had an air injection system, and came with a belt-driven air pump (passengers' side), check valve (screwed to the vertical pipe in your pic), and the hardware that you see on your car. Pump drove air into the system, through the check valve at a specific rate, and into the 'pre-manifold' area of the head, to better burn the fuel vapors out of the exhaust gasses.
That should help you,...

Back