Can Someone Help Me With Fitting 6x9 Speakers To My Fiat Punto MK1

Currently reading:
Can Someone Help Me With Fitting 6x9 Speakers To My Fiat Punto MK1

hi,I have same situation got myself a sub and some 6x9`s. but would it b easier for me to ell on the 6x9 (probably make a profit) and buy some front speakers that fit straight in no hassle.???

Fenton_jd, by wiring your presumably 4ohm speakers in parallel, you are presenting your amplifier output stages with a load of only 2ohms. This will draw heavily on the power supply, resulting in clipping when the current runs out. Typically, clipping produces a high frequency, high amplitude signal that will overheat your high frequency drive units in very little time, and possibly damage your output transistors. Plus, because the impedance is variable with frequency depending on the speaker, electronic damping will be poor, resulting in poor drive unit control.

Fenton_jd, by wiring your presumably 4ohm speakers in parallel, you are presenting your amplifier output stages with a load of only 2ohms. This will draw heavily on the power supply, resulting in clipping when the current runs out. Typically, clipping produces a high frequency, high amplitude signal that will overheat your high frequency drive units in very little time, and possibly damage your output transistors. Plus, because the impedance is variable with frequency depending on the speaker, electronic damping will be poor, resulting in poor drive unit control.

Wow are you a sound engineer? Your knowledge in this field is impressive (y)

Fancy being the mod for the I.C.E Section? :D :slayer:

Its more electronics knowledge really, same applies if you wire 2 bulbs in parallel at home, they are half as bright. There are just more things to go wrong in something as complex as a head unit or power amplifier and the interference that causes is more obvious.

Thanks, but no thanks. I used to be really into my hifi before I had other bills to pay. In a car, particularly a rattling, squeaky Fiat, it's simply not worth investing in a high end system without first spending serious time and money on fixing the noises, installing sound isolation everywhere and building up proper speaker pods.

Having said all that though, my simple Pioneer head unit and JBL GTO series speakers do reveal the occasional detail with greater detail than my home system. With the engine turned off, that 12v lump of lead-acid in plastic is a better DC power supply than the really expensive mains powered ones since the 50Hz noise floor is zero. I once heard of a guy that took apart his home HiFi, removed the power supply and connected a battery instead.

This will draw heavily on the power supply, resulting in clipping when the current runs out.

Car amps have variable DC-DC power converters so the power supply wont run out unless you cant sustain a reasonable floating voltage or the amplifier isnt stable down that far. Just too keep it simple anyway.

Oh and dont Listen to Chris he only asked that because he doesnt like me (The current ICE mod) Well done Chris the big man ill give you my pay pal addy you send me a fiver and ill pop a life in the post for you :p

Sorry about that little rant lol now back on topic a lot of guys go down below 0.5ohm in the car clip only occurs when a voltage drops below the amps working limit (installers fault not amp), poor earth or a mismatch of input at input stage (gain).

Last edited:
Back