Technical Cambelt rotation

Currently reading:
Technical Cambelt rotation

mrbenno

I blame LEGO
Hi Guys,

Thanks to the wealth of information on the Forum and much use of the search function, I have taken the head off my Cinq Sporting to replace the head gasket (and water pump, cam belt and thermostat while I'm at it). All has gone well so far. I'm getting it skimmed tomorrow and having the valves reset.

Thanks so much to all that have taken time to make the guides.

I have some basic questions that I can't find answers to via the search:

1. Does anyone know the direction of the cambelt and rotation of the crank and camshaft pulleys if I'm looking at the pulley from the drivers side through the wheel arch?

2. Are there any photos or good descriptions of the throttle body with ref to where all the electric connectors go? I completely forgot to label them all up before I removed them.

3. I have removed the tube from the inlet manifold to the brakes at the brakes end. Do the brakes need to be bled after reconnecting the pipe?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ben

Last edited:
Thanks Ming. I hope putting it all back together is as easy as taking it apart!

I might be back...

Cheers,

Ben

You can't get the wiring of the TB wrong, all the plugs are a unique shape/colour.

If it doesn't go into the connector easily, its the wrong plug.

I presume you mean you have taken the servo hose out of the servo, no bleeding neccessary.

Cheers

SPD

Thanks for the replies.

SPD

The hose went from the inlet manifold to the vacuum servo and had an internally ridged yellow pull off connector a bit like a garden tap. In 'Cinquecentos for Dummies' language what does it do?

One more question...

Mr Haynes Manual seems to say that the FIRE 1108cc is an interference engine. Other posts here say otherwise. Who do I believe?

Cheers,

Ben

Head is back on the car. Just put the new cambelt on. All lined up top and bottom. Tensioned the tensioner.

We turned the engine on the crank. Here's the question:

Will the lines on the belt come around and line up again or does it not matter?

Are the marks on the pulleys and the engine all that need to line up after a few revolutions?

Also:

Haynes Manual says get FIAT to check the tension. None of the guides on FF that feature the cambelt mention taking it to FIAT to get it checked. What to do?

I eagerly await expert answers.

Thanks,

Ben

Last edited:
Which is the longest stretch?

So... If I turn the crank twice then the belt marks should be back to the same place exactly?

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi,

I have fitted the cambelt. Tensioned up and did the deflection and the twist 90 degrees tests. I got the lines and the notches all lined up. Gave the crank 2 turns and the pulley notches both lined up perfectly. The belt lines don't line up again.

I reconnected everything except the alternator filled up the coolant and oil and bit the bullet and started the engine up. It ran perfectly.

Are the belt marks just there for the initial installation of the belt and irrelevant after that? I'm confused.

Any top tips for tensioning the alternator and getting to the top bolt? My dad harped on about a special spanner. I had a quick google and discovered obstruction spanners and half moon bent spanners. Noticed that one of the guides featuring the alternator mentioned a ball allen key.

Thanks again,

Ben

The belt I took off before replacing the head gasket just had an arrow for rotation.

Thanks so much to the guide writers and all who have given advice in this thread.

I have changed a head gasket all on my own. Yay!

Cheers,

Ben

Back