Technical Cambelt Question

Currently reading:
Technical Cambelt Question

JamesO

I recently had the cambelt, tensioner and roller guide changed on my 67,000 mile Bravo 1.6. This was done by a Northern fast fit centre. Since it was done there has been a whining from the belt. This lessons slightly as the car warms up but never goes away. I have now done about 2500 miles since the the new belt. During this time I have had the tensioner and roller guide changed again at a main dealer(faulty official Fiat parts!) where I was told me that the belt whined because it was not an official Fiat belt. Would this really be the case? Surely the (Power train products) belt is exactly the same as the Fiat one? Or am I being niave?

Cheers

James

Azure Bravo 1.6 sx

No you are correct - I doubt an official Fiat belt would make any difference.

What would make a difference is the belt tension, sounds to me like the original garage didn't set the tension correctly and this was also the reason why you needed to replace the tensioner and roler guides again.

SpunkyM...
Fiat Coupe 20VT, Bailey DV, K&N panel, PBV @ 1.1bar.

Does this mean I take it back to be retensioned again? I was going to give it another 1000 miles or so to see whether it went first.

James

Azure Bravo 1.6 sx

bad idea.

If the Cambelt goes you can be pretty certain it'll take all of your engine with it.

Jamie

Fiat Bravo 2001.
Nakamichi CD40z/Stock HU
Directed 1500 Dual Input EQ
Stinger Dream Series Interconnects.
Rockford Fos Punch 100z2 Per Door.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25 Comps.
4 Directed Dei1100d's Cerwin Vega Stroker 18D2.
Predicted SPL - 160+Db

I agree with Devil - it's just not worth the risk. I would take it to a different garage and ask them to check the belt tension for you (it should take no more than 10mins so shouldn't be expensive). If they say it is O.K. then I would feel more comfortable in leaving it for a 1000miles or so to see if it quietens down. But I would get it checked.

SpunkyM...
Fiat Coupe 20VT, Bailey DV, K&N panel, PBV @ 1.1bar.

I meant the noise not the belt but yes, I agree with both of you - I will take the car somewhere else this week.

Thanks for your help.

James.

Azure Bravo 1.6 sx

phew glad you meant the noise!

Fiat Bravo 2001.
Nakamichi CD40z/Stock HU
Directed 1500 Dual Input EQ
Stinger Dream Series Interconnects.
Rockford Fos Punch 100z2 Per Door.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25 Comps.
4 Directed Dei1100d's Cerwin Vega Stroker 18D2.
Predicted SPL - 160+Db

<font face='Courier New'></font id='Courier New'><font color=red></font id=red>
Sometimes during installation, make sure the belt tensioner is not too tight. I have the same problem but with my previous car a Ford Laser TX3. They replaced a new tensioner by a pro. Noise gone.

Regards,
SYED

Grrrr! Bloody cambelts tensioners and roller guides! The whine has got a bit worse and the thumping sound from under the belt cover at idle is back (I have had it twice before since the new belt was fitted just over a month ago - first time the belt was retensioned by the people that fitted it second time Reg Vardy changed the roller guide and tensioner and said that doing that would cure it - lying b*******s!)

I have booked my car in to a different Fiat workshop I have had recommended to me, only they cannot take the car for two weeks - oh well! They also said they were very surprised that Vardys didn't tell me the belt should have been changed again when the faulty tensioner etc were replaced. And they have said (3rd garage that has said this) that a cambelt should never squeel if fitted properly and that Vardys were taking rubbish when they said the issue was cause by a non-Fiat belt.

James

Bravo 1.6 sx
(Only mod - aftermarket driving lamps)

Edited by - JamesO on 09/04/2002 22:10:51

Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Is sorted! Had Tim Swales (Northallerton) look at it today and they put a new belt (another) on it and reset the timing (previous cowboys had set it up slightly wrong) and the car is wonderful once more! The belt that Croxdale Fast Fit had fitted is basically s**t quality and caused the horrible whine - is a Powertrain products one, you have been warned!

James

Bravo 1.6 sx

JamesO said:
Yay! Yay! Yay! Yay! Is sorted! Had Tim Swales (Northallerton) look at it today and they put a new belt (another) on it and reset the timing (previous cowboys had set it up slightly wrong) and the car is wonderful once more! The belt that Croxdale Fast Fit had fitted is basically s**t quality and caused the horrible whine - is a Powertrain products one, you have been warned!

James

Bravo 1.6 sx
Hi
Can you tell me how much you were charged, for new belt and timing reset.
cheers

"and that Vardys were taking rubbish when they said the issue was cause by a non-Fiat belt."

"The belt that Croxdale Fast Fit had fitted is basically s**t quality and caused the horrible whine - is a Powertrain products one, you have been warned!"

So hang on, Vardys were right then and your expert was wrong. And why would they change the parts under warranty if they were not Fiat parts eg the belt?

powertrain products are top quality.they basically made all parts for rover,so should be quality assured.as for the cam noise,the belt would be ok,it was either wrongly tensioned or wrongly fitted.if the pulleys are not lined up properly,this can cause the noise.to do the miles you did was foolish.cambelt noise should be retified straight away.i hope you did not pay for work that was wrongly done. :(

Back