Technical Cambelt changed or not?

Currently reading:
Technical Cambelt changed or not?

forzaf1

Picked up a 500 from copart with no service history. Tried dealers and previous owner but no luck....

With this symbol, do we think Cambelt has been done? Thoughts.....

Attachments

• 20201118_132630.jpg
    20201118_132630.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 90
Back in the day when I used to purchase cars let’s just say a bit frequently, the first thing I did was change the timing belt and give the cars a good service. I did tend to run them into th ground after that :D

You know what to do. As JK says give the car a service as well and a good going over, wheels off and check things like brakes suspension. I used to love doing things like that. :)

I have to agree with the others. Just change it if in any doubt. I can see from your picture that there is no sensor in the "hole" beside the belt cover and I can just see the VVT solenoid partly out of picture top right hand side. This is a 69 hp engine with the VVT cam pulley which means it's an interference engine so if the belt or, more likely, water pump or idler bearings go then the pistons and valves will become indecently intimate and your pocket book will be relieved of plenty of cash!

Yes that's been done. 100%. The mark on the top of the cover is what the mechanics mark to show it's been done. The sticker peeling off is also a big give away as the cam cover bolt is under it and it has to be peeled back or punctured to undo.

100% it's been done.
I think you are probably right, All the clues point in that direction don't they. However I would want to be taking the top belt cover off and verifying it by eye before I'd be truly happy.

Thank you for all that reply. I was getting the casing removed anyway to check for myself, however I was just looking for some...reassurance...lets say that a Y indicates its been done before.

Apart from wear, whats a tail tail sign its been changed? Brand etc?

Even if it has been changed, you don't know when or at what mileage.

Apart from wear, whats a tail tail sign its been changed?

If you're lucky, you might find a date marking somewhere on the belt.

Look also for evidence that the water pump has been changed; it's equally likely to fail, and it'll do the same amount of damage if it does. If the water pump looks original, I'd still change both (and the tensioner), for peace of mind. The parts aren't expensive; it's the labour that's the issue for most folks.

At least one chap on here who drove his car quite hard changed the belt annually.

Last edited:
Back