Technical Cam belt on a rally 999cc FIRE

Currently reading:
Technical Cam belt on a rally 999cc FIRE

SuperUno

Is this true that if you break the cam belt on a 999cc FIRE engine the valves do NOT hit the pistons ??? I thought they would, but i could be wrong. Anyone here had a cam belt fail on their FIRE engined Uno ???

Cheers

Matt

Re: Broken timing belt Uno 1400 1994

Yes it is true :)

It's a "safe engine"

Dave (resident know it all) will tell you (I think) that all you need to do is refit a new cambelt etc. and it should run fine again?

Don't trust me on that.

The Negotiator said:
Yes it is true :)

It's a "safe engine"

Dave (resident know it all) will tell you (I think) that all you need to do is refit a new cambelt etc. and it should run fine again?

Don't trust me on that.

Thanks for that info, i'll will carry a spare cam belt in my rally car in-case one snaps on an event and in 20 mins i can be back running again - Hopefully.

Re: Cam belt on a 999cc FIRE

:) Hi SuperUno,

I thought I'd split the thread as its a bit different to the 1400 engine :)

I have heard its OK if the cam belt snaps on the 999 FIRE - but I’m sure it won't do any good either.

LOL you will be stranded. Some areas I drive through I would not like to brake down :dead:.

Thanks Paul “The Negotiator” you got in first. I’d also say check the spark plugs. There may be little bits stuck in the engine – Could be wrong :confused:

Kind Regards,

Louie Bee said:
:confused: are you rallying a 999 FIRE

I'd say keep a cam belt tensioner handy too ;)

Yes i'll take the old tensioner along for the ride as well, as it is these that usually cause the belt to snap in the first place. Have fitted a new belt and tensioner to the rally engine.

Yes i have nearly finished building a Uno Rally car with the 999cc FIRE engine in it. This is for a new type of rallying called Endurance Rallying where there is a 1 litre class (visit http://www.siteset.co.uk/endurance/index.html for more info). Standard Engine's Gearboxes etc...
But has roll-cage, bucket seats, front and rear strut braces, sump and tank guards, and lots of other goodies.
I will post some pics on here when it is finished.

The Negotiator said:
What sort of costs are involved in that?

Event costs are quite high £998 for the entry fee, another £340 for hotels and meals. But this is split 50:50 with my nav, so that makes it a little cheaper.

However this is a top level event, i am doing smaller event based on the same idea which is £150 for the entry fee and no hotel costs as you start at 2pm Sat and finish 7am on the Sunday morning with only a supper halt for 2 hours. See http://chelmsfordmc.co.uk/Endurance/current.html for more info.

Re: Cam belt on a 999cc FIRE

Louie Bee said:
1.0 Rally Uno – now were talking :)

:eek: Please keep us updated - I can’t wait for the pictures!

:confused: Have you replaced many panels to lighten the load yet?

Kind regards,

You can't lighten the panels or or metal work, however you can reduce the weight by a large amount by removing all the sound proofing material. However putting the rollcage in, probably put all that weight back in.

Back