General cam belt failure

Currently reading:
General cam belt failure

zuluwarrior

I have a Marea 1.8 ELX which will 5 years old on 1st Nov'05 but has a full service history with a Fiat dealer. Monday this week the cam belt "decided" to part company at 53k miles and I await, with some anxiety, as to what the bill will be. Service handbook recommends belt replacement at 72k and my Fiat dealer attitude is that it "was just one of those things". They also considered it extremely unlikely that Fiats would be at all interested in making any financial/goodwill contribution to the final repair bill.
Has anyone had a similar experience and if so were they successful in obtaining a "contribution" from Fiat

Hi zuluwarrior and welcome to our forum :D

Sorry to hear about your mishap :(

Fiat recommends 72k or 72months whichever comes sooner. This forum recommends 50k or 72 months. Some people who 'abuse' their engines change them every 45k.

You are unlikely to get any help from Fiat unless you can prove a manufacturing fault in the belt. Don't forget to get the tensioner changed at the same time. It may be worth getting the water pump done as well while the cars in bits.

Good luck,

Hi ZW, Fiat recommend 60K miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. IF the car has been serviced ON TIME, IF the car has had the correct services, IF the car has been serviced every time by a FIAT DEALER, and IF the car is at a FIAT DEALER now. Then if you contact Fiat Customer Services, and then you may get a goodwill contribution. IF you have ventured outside of the dealer network then it is unlikely that Fiat would assist. Good Luck.

Thanks polecat and NumanR. Point taken re the tensioner and water pump - more money but a longer term investment. Garage have approached Fiat for a goodwill gesture but said "don't hold your breath" - One can only hope!!

Thats outrageous, my Dads cambelt went ping in his old Ford transit at 95k (6yrs old), after being changed at 60k by Ford (Mk4 transits have a Cambelt change every 60k) and Ford footed the whole bill to repair the engine! Surely i the cars been serviced properly and the cambelt has gone before the required change then Fiat should foot the bill!

Fiat Stealers are sounding more and more like VW Stealers everyday!

Just thought I would let you all know that the Marea is back on the road with 16 shiney new valves and, as suggested, a new water pump.
I wrote to Fiat UK on the 12th Oct'05 as, given the car had a full service history and the cam belt failed some 18k miles short of the recommended 72k change point, asking if they would make a goodwill contribution to the costs.
Their reply was received today which was a "no" as the car was outside warranty - disappointing to say the least however Fiat went on to say the following;
"Referring to our servicing literature the cam belt is normally changed at the 72,000 mile service. This is simply a recommendation however not a guarantee of logevity, it is impossible to predict the life span of a serviceable component such as the cambelt; due to the fact that the lifespan can be affected by the way the vehicle is driven, by external factors such as ingress of dust, grit and water and by the vehicle maintenance. The decision rests with you the customer, as to whether or not to have the belt changed before 72,000 miles"
Am absolutely gobsmacked with this statement particularly as the servicing literature I have does not appear to support Fiat UK - so be warned.

the longest any fiat engine should go without a belt,counter rotating belt[if fitted],tensioner and waterpump if fitted behind belt is 36k.do not rely on fiat recommended service intervals.this also applies to oil changes.change oil at 3-5k or yearly.this will prolong your engine.:)

Can't disagree with you Sumplug - it's a lesson learnt albeit the hard way

Hi,

My 1.6SX Weekend cambelt failed at 41k miles on the way back from hols on the M1 - cost just short of 1K to repair.

But hey had nothing but problems with it.

i manually inspect my belt at regular intervals (monthly at least), the one i recently fitted is looking pretty dodgy after 2000 miles, its not dangerous yet but im thinking a change at 10k is on the cards, i took a chance with a cheap belt (only because a gates belt wasnt in stock on the day) and now i wish i didnt bother. crappy no namer parts aren't worth the money, the belt only cost £9 but its wrong that you can buy such crap quality parts in the first place. what make are the original fiat ones? they cant be gates if they snap so early.

Back