Technical caliper/disc upgrade

Currently reading:
Technical caliper/disc upgrade

charlieboy said:
...back to the car. what size would the rear discs be? can you not just get better calipers - IE - when change to GT discs? oh and whats involved with putting GT disc/calipers on the front?

charlie

on the front...

take all your stuff off. put GT stuff on, really its that simple.

you'll need calipers, caliper carriers, disks and pads.

on the rear...

its a bit more tricky.

you'll need the hub, backplate, stone guard (optional), caliper, caliper carrier, disks/pads and handbrakes cables

take off all of your rear brakes, inc. the drum backplate where the cylinder attatches so you are left with just the stub axel. fit the new stuff and also swap the handbrake cables.

check the pictures here to see how i changed them on a cabriolet i was converting for someone.

may leave the rears for now then. if i buy a pair of drilled/grooved/combo GT discs then i will have to sorce a pair of calipers too right? anything else needed to fit them? *front only - no rears yet*

charlie

PuntoboyGT said:
lucas made them for the lower models i believe, my 55 calipers were lucas :D

i personally use RED DOT discs and pads all round.

I had Tarox sport japans on my Cinq (GT calipers) Although this time will be going with Maxtorq Group N discs and mintex M1144 pads...

Ah right I'm prob wrong on the lucas ones then just thought i'd seen it somewhere :eek:

I'd go with the GT stuff. Calipers and carriers should be fairly cheap from a scrap GT, and then you can fit new uprated discs, pads and braided flexis. (y)

Back