Buying the right stuff?

Currently reading:
Buying the right stuff?

If you plan on changing the rear speakers too I'd say that amp would do just fine, but I'd be careful using it to just run 2 speakers. The figure to pay the most attention to is the RMS. The speakers you've chosen are 90wRMS per channel. That amp will do 75wRMS per channel in 4-channel mode (which would be fine, better than most HU's will do) but will do 180wRMS per channel in 2-channel mode which will overpower your speakers. If you only want to amp the front speakers, find a 2-channel amp with an RMS rating as close as possible to your chosen speakers.

*Eklipze3k now waits to have everything he's just said ripped to shreds by volxstu* :p

If you plan on changing the rear speakers too I'd say that amp would do just fine, but I'd be careful using it to just run 2 speakers. The figure to pay the most attention to is the RMS. The speakers you've chosen are 90wRMS per channel. That amp will do 75wRMS per channel in 4-channel mode (which would be fine, better than most HU's will do) but will do 180wRMS per channel in 2-channel mode which will overpower your speakers. If you only want to amp the front speakers, find a 2-channel amp with an RMS rating as close as possible to your chosen speakers.

*Eklipze3k now waits to have everything he's just said ripped to shreds by volxstu* :p

Well i have 6x9 also buy infinity which have an max RMS of 100
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_264419_langId_-1_categoryId_165707 basicaly these i believe (they were a present, also i have 6x9 because i need the boot for cricket) so could i just use the amp shown earlier to power both the front comps and the rears?

Last edited:
Ok can i throw a spanner in the works just a little bit.
If you are dead set on using the 6x9's i would personally just leave them on the Head Unit as a bit of rear fill and have the HU set so you cant hear them over the front speakers. You dont want to hear anything other than low bass from the rear of the car. An MDF Shelf would help with this.

I would install the front speakers properly (see Sawyer's thread) and get some sound deadening.

Then if you are really clever you can use the mid woofers on 1 half of the amp and the tweeters on the other side doing away with the X-over box that they come with. This will mean that each speaker will get 75w RMS which if set up properly will be absolutely fine.
You will have much more control over the frequencies that each speaker gets and it is this control that will effectively allow you to put more power and get more volume from your speakers.
You wont have to turn up your gains very high on the amp and the lower the gain on your amp the better quality of sound it will reproduce.

What head unit do you have and i am just waiting for the amps Manual To load up so i can confirm that what i have said is possible

Well you have just confused me completely what is the mid woofer?
Right i just read over what you said again and it made a bit more sense, when i wiring up dont use the cross over?
Wire the tweeter straight from the amp and same with the main front speaker (mid woofer?) therefore eliminating the need for the cross over?
Sorry this is so ignorant it is my first install

EDIT: I have the alpine IDA-x305

Last edited:
Back