General buying a pandy

Currently reading:
General buying a pandy

needafiat

Well, as a few of you may have noticed, a couple of days ago I was asking advice about buying a cinquecento, but now, due to spiralling insurance costs, as I only passed my test a few months ago, and am a student, a cheaper panda is on the cards. I've been offered an F reg, Panda 1000 Super, with 35000 miles on the clock, for 450 quid. If this car is reasonably tidy, is this worth it? also anything in particular (other than rust) to look out for. Also, will a panda manage to go from Essex to Newcastle every couple of months, carting a uni student about with all his rubbish?

Final point, does anybody want to give me a panda for free? (Well worth a try!)

cheers

Needafiat!

I paid £500 for my '95/M Panda 1.1ie Selecta with 100k miles, virtually full Fiat Service history and punto alloy wheels. It even came with a radio casette! However, I bought the car as soon as it was advertised, and feel that I got a bargain.;)

Small cars always sell well if they are good examples, and often reach over book.;)

I'd say that £450 isn't cheap, but if the car is a nice example (genuine mileage, full or very good history, no danmage / rust) then it will probably sell at that price. Saying that, I'd still offer £300 cash. It's always worth a try...

If your going to do some mileage, then I'd make sure the service history is a good 'un. Essex to Tyne side is a fair run for any car..

Rust appears to be the main problem. Steve's Panda is of a similar vintage and he's worn out the gearbox (!). He can probably give you a run down on what he's had to replace. Most mechanical parts are fairly cheap to source, so assuming the engine is A1 (no smoke/water in the oil/ horrendous leaks [my panda leaks no oil, whatsover]), you should be OK.

If she's a good 'un, play the 'Poor Student' card to good effect and bag the Panda at £300.[}:)];) I promise you that you will enjoy!:D

BTW - welcome aboard the FiatForum - PandaLand!:D:D:D

John

891466.jpg

My little 903cc 'Dance' gets me from the West Midlands to South Cornwall quite happily. And back again! In total, I've done that 265 mile trip, five times now since last October. But I hold her at 50-56mph on the motorway, and achieved 57.8 mpg last Friday :), so as long as you don't rush it, I'm sure it will be fine.

Paul

My Panda may be similar vintage, but it has done 94000 miles ...

The longest journey I've ever done is Nottingham to Blackpool and back. But it has been reasonably trouble-free mechanically considering its mileage.

Okay, my clutch went at 18000 but the replacement began to slip at 92000 so the original was probably a duff one anyway.

Gear linkages tend to wear so you get free play in the gear lever. Mine was welded in June 1996, about 55000 miles I think. I never did replace them.

New shock absorbers, a track rod end and one brake pipe at 90000 for the MOT ...

Oh yes, the gearbox - this died on me at 94000; not so much worn out but something has knocked a great hole in the casing!

Other problems: obviously rust in wheelarches and doors - my sills have been treated with Waxoyl so they have no rust whatsoever.

I've had problems with electrics because of rust and other corrosion but this is pretty common on all Italian cars of the period. I dismantled earth connections to the bodywork and cleaned off any powdery residue before reassembling and smeared with vaseline to protect them.

The cables to the rear nearside light cluster and the number plate light connectors are exposed and would benefit from wrapping with tape or at least given the vaseline treatment.

Exhausts every three years, although the current one has lasted four so far.

For a 35000 mile car I think you would do very well for £300. If the interior is pretty clean and tidy with very little wear under the pedals then that seems about right. If like mine there are holes in the carpet where your heels go then it's likely to have been round the clock ...

I think the Panda is a great little car - I can get my 6'4" frame in it and drive with my size 12s so you shouldn't have any problems on that score!

Anyway, enough already. If there's anything else I can think of then I'll let you know.

Steve
(I'm also on [email protected])

panda3.jpg

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL "Rustwagen"
Electronic Distributor
Metamec copper brake pipes
Currently immobile with a knackered gearbox
Replacement 5-speed 'box and new QH clutch in garage ready to fit
and is likely to remain there for some time yet due to my EXTREME
LAZINESS (and it's wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

When I first passed my test, I have a lovely panda sisley 4x4, which I shared with my dad, it had done over 170,000 when we finally got rid off it, the only major problem we had with it was the handbrake cable it was streched so we replaced that and it was fine. The gear leaver was very sloppy but it never caused any problems.

As for rust there was very barely any on it, it was well looked after and cared for.:):):)

The furthest I ever went in it was London with a full load and a load on the roof rack and it got down there with about £25 of juice.:D:D:D

As steve was saying about fitting in it, there was no problem for me and I ain't no string bean, but I did find driving my mums panda a little bit difficult because of the centre console running down the middle of the car, but that was only because I had no place to put my left foot when not in use.:p:p:p

If you do buy a panda I think you will enjoy it, I wish I never got rid of mine, or I bought a newer one.

Gaz[^][^][^]

Looks Good, Drives Sh!t.

So did you get it after all this?

Steve

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor
LAZINESS (and it's cold and wet out there - okay, so I'm a wimp) ...

fraid i ain't done anything about it! At the moment I am lacking in funds, so maybe when I save enough money for the car, and a grand for insurance i'll buy one! It'll probably be about 3ish months until i jump in the deep end and buy a panda! thanks for all the advice - hopefully i'll get to use it!

A ... grand ... for insurance? On a Panda? Eeeeek!!!

I'm annoyed with my premium of £134! Although I'm probably a little older than you - read my profile if you really want a shock ...

Steve

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor

Well u see, for me - as a 17yr old, who only passed his test a month ago, i need some cheap transport for Uni, as i can't take my mum's S-reg Micra. So I found out that, second only to a fiat 126, the fiat panda is the cheapest car to ensure, at a little over a grand for 3rd party. The 126 was cheaper, at 900 quid - but can u imagine a 600cc fiat, going up and down from Newcastle to London every few months???????

that's what i was told too when i was 17... i asked why and the women said they weren't that popular. i woul dhave thought other way around tho?!?!

ben

bravo 1.6sx
momo twin 17" alloys
apex 40mm lower springs
apex sports shock's
k&n 57i induction
toad mp4 2-1 upgrade
fully debadged
smoked front headlights
black/clear side repeaters
rear lights tint sprayed black
full midnight window tint (front/back/sunstrip)

I assumed that you were still young, but still, a grand?

Boy, am I behind the times ... ;)

Steve

1989 Fiat Panda 1000CL
Electronic Distributor

My Panda 900 cost me £609 to insure TPFT for my first year ;) Looking to get fully-comp cover for my second year.....

Paul

What about buying panda 4x4? How can I know that somebody didn't use it as "SUV" (like I would):D but only on open roads and in the city?
What about engine? Is 150.000km too much for 6 years old car? :) (on my yugo skala 55 I have only 97.000km, but it is 14yrs old [8)] )

It's very hard to guess the previous use of a car.

With the distance it's covered in 6 years I'd guess it's been driving motorways or big roads quite a bit. This is not a bad thing - provided it has had regular oil and filter changes, and it is priced low.

There are places which describe how to check a car, and what sort of questions to ask the seller, better than I ever could - my favourite is

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/buy_sell/buying_used/BuySell_UsedChecking-3.htm

Obviously the legal bits mentioned probably don't apply in your part of the world - but have a read of the other links there too.
(and see if you can find the mention of the > 200,000 Mile Pandas on there :) )

Best of luck

John H

Why worry about previous use on a Panda 4X4.

They are tough, what kills Pandas is rust and that affects all of them.

Remember it is probably the biggest selling 4X4 in Europe people who really wantd to abuse 4X4s at that price probably got the Suzuki.

Pros -- Tougher, slightly greater ride height and ground clearance, protection for engine and gearbox, lower first gear that gives rery rapid acceleration from a standing start, more pull from engine. Wonderfull in snow and general foul weather, never gets stuck unless you try very hard to get it somewhere stupid.

Against-- Higher fuel consumption, stiffer ride and probably noisier, look dreadfull on standard tyres so when they need replacing they cost more.

Stilo Active 1.2 5 Door/ Panda 4X4

Back