Buying a classic Fiat

Currently reading:
Buying a classic Fiat

jamies

I want to buy a 70s Fiat convertible. I have no idea which ones are the most reliable. I need some good advice--or a resource I should use to help me select a relatively reliable model. (I don't work on cars. I just want a fun, incredibly beautiful car to run errands with and take friends around town in.)

Can anyone offer advice or tell me about a website I should look at?

Thanks.

By a 70's convertible I take you mean a 124 Spider. I have been looking at buying one myself, and although I do not have a lot of experience of them first hand there is a huge resource for them on-line. If you go to
http://www.fiatmotorclubgb.com and go to their links section you will see many. You can also ask questions on their sometomes usefull forum. Have a look at the cars sections as well. Its the best resource for classic Fiats in the UK. As for the US, there are a number of Owners Clubs and web sites - there are too many tho list!

You then need to decide how "classic" you want to go.

The spider came out in the mid 60's and ran until '85 as far as I can work out.
The original was 1438cc S4 DOHC rising through 1608cc in the early 70's 1756cc from '74 and finally 1995cc from '79. There have been reports of some turbo charged (Volumex) versions in the US but I have never seen one here. There are also not many RHD cars.
From '82 the cars were badged Pininfarina Spder Europa!
Finally there was an Abarth Rallye version with black bonnet but only just over 1000 were made and they were built in '74 so how many remain is unkown,
As you are in the US you will have the pick of the best and widest choice available.
Me - well I want a 2000i in Metallic Blue with a black hood!
Keep in touch, I would like to hear you opinions.
Nige

Fiat Bravo HGT155
Jagaur XJR-S 6.0 V12
http://www.bravo-guide.co.uk THE Fiat Bravo site

I know its not a Fiat but what about a Lancia Beta Spyder. They are extremely rare and a better drive than Fiat 124, the roof is a two piece affair, the rear section folds down(fabric or mohair) then the front section above driver is a solid fibre glass thing, it also incorporates a very sturdy roll over bar into the design.
Disadvantge is the do rust.

...and there might be one left out there! I havent seen one for years. I remember driving a friends, fathers, 2.0i and putting it into 5th much to his amazement as he had driven it for thee years thinking it only had 4 gears! (wooden gear knob - no markings!) That must have been before 1988 as I moved from there after that date. Be good to see one again, you are right it was a lovely car, just didnt like our climate. My Mum had a HPE 2.0i for a few months I remember in that really dull blue colour they did. I think she bought it new in the May and scrapped it in August due to rust.... no no she did sell it though!

Fiat Bravo HGT155
Jagaur XJR-S 6.0 V12
http://www.bravo-guide.co.uk THE Fiat Bravo site

Back