Technical Bulb Kits

Currently reading:
Technical Bulb Kits

evans88

When you travel abroad you are meant to carry a spare set of bulbs. Is it an easy job to replace the headlight bulbs on an X250?

If its difficult then there seems little point carrying spares. I ask because the French Police seem to be checking that these are carried and failure to have them incurs a hefty fine.

Advice please.

Last edited:
Halfords also do the bulb kit for about £15.
The French police also like to fine you for not having the right type of high vis jackets (1 per person) and a warning triangle (2 if you go to Spain).
If you hang the high vis jackets over the back of the front seats they can see them and are less likely to stop you.
For the cost you may as well buy them much cheaper than the fine.

Just an after thought do you know about this site.
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/
Lots of useful info on it, you can brows the forums for free.
If you want to join it is £10 00 a year, when i had my motorhome I saved £70 00 in the first year just on cheap ferry fares and discounts for members.

Thanks. I'm a regular visitor to France and spend about 4 months of the year there or travelling through there en route to either Spain and Portugal.

I do know the legal requirements and have a visibilty vest, warning triangles and some spare bulbs etc but my question is how difficult is to fit headlight bulbs. On some vehicles its extremely difficult involving removal of the headlight assembly etc which is not a job that be done on the roadside but I haven't the first idea how to do it on a Ducato.

Are bulbs - especially those in the headlights - easy to change?

Incidentally a spare bulb kit is only £9.99 with free postage here:

http://www.care4car.com/modelfinder/caryearplate/9-232-148/Fiat_Ducato_2002_onwards.html

Of course, the time you're most likely to need to change a bulb is in the pouring road, in the pitch black in mid-winter :D

Why not have a bash at going through the motions of changing all the bulbs when you have a little spare time?

(For those looking for cheap bulb kits - check out local factory outlet type places, in the NE Lincs area Tiketyboo or Trotters Traders do them for about £4, and they're not bad!! In the Norfolk area, try Lathams at Potter Heigham lol Anywhere else, you're on your own lol)

Back