Building an HTPC

Currently reading:
Building an HTPC

Been a while since I've built a PC so kind of out of touch with the latest hardware, etc.
As such, I know I could muddle through and get all the bits I want separately but I wonder if there are any pre-made HTPC's or even barebone kits out there that people have or would recommend based on the vast knowledge of our geekier members? ;)

Ideally the cheaper the better, I'll look at anything up to about £400. I saw one I liked the look of (Zotac I think it was called) but didn't have space for an optical drive, and ideally I'd like it to have at least 1x5.25" slot for a Blu-Ray drive.

Edit: Unless there are slimline Blu-Ray drives and cases which will take the slimline drives?

Last edited:
I've got myself one of these: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/27...ordable_overclockable_and_1080p_hd/index.html

Very quiet, overclocks to 1.9GHz fine (2.0GHz is OK but needs higher fan speed really). I've got a NAS drive for storing media so the 320GB hard drive isn't an issue to me.

It's a pre built system, all you need to do is add your own OS - Windows 7 runs great and there is also people with XBMC running on it. It is atom powered (dual core) so it isn't lightning fast and the small case is really neat but does not allow for adding cards (such as a tv tuner). It runs 720p fine and will do 1080p provided you use something that offloads the heavy lifting to the ION gpu (such as media player classic home cinema edition).

Back