Building a flat sub housing for boot

Currently reading:
Building a flat sub housing for boot

mooncheese

Hey guys.
I fancy building a flat sub housing to go in my boot. I'm sick of the room that my mutant boom box takes up and hassle of removing it etc.
Im going to build a flat housing with grill for the sub so it's semi permanent.
Questions I have is...
A: what material? Mdf / chipboard / plexiglass?
B: do I need a specific depth for the speaker? I don't need the bass to sound mental just enough to enjoy my dance music.
And C: do you need to cut in vents etc for air flow.
Cheers guys any info is appreciated

i made a build similar to yours i used stuffing from an old quilt to act as sound proof cut my wood to size i used mdf as i was given it from a job i did mounted the sub where the spare wheel sits and covered over the wood i havent got round to porting it yet (someone on the forum suggested it) as i did show my build in the grande punto section on here. i didnt do any measurements for depth wise or anything i just plonked it in and it sounds awesome but i would put a port in imo hope this info helps dude.

Cheers guys! Think I will port it.
And I def will look through the forums on that site mate. Ideas are running away with me with plexiglass and lighting and all sorts but I think I'm just being a bit over the top with all that lol. Nice one again! :beer:

It's ok here to help ;) if you wanna take alook here's a link to what I made :)
https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/321397-boot-build.html

Good effort puntoboii. Along the same lines as what I'm looking to do. Going to mount the amp underneath the floor though out of the way. Looked up computer fans 2 and figured out they will run off the ignition supply to keep amp super chilled so going to do that. Will make a start this weekend weather permitting. Pictures along the way for the forum 2.
Did you leave your "fake floor" floating or secure it down? Last thing I want is vibration off it from bass! :D

Good effort puntoboii. Along the same lines as what I'm looking to do. Going to mount the amp underneath the floor though out of the way. Looked up computer fans 2 and figured out they will run off the ignition supply to keep amp super chilled so going to do that. Will make a start this weekend weather permitting. Pictures along the way for the forum 2.
Did you leave your "fake floor" floating or secure it down? Last thing I want is vibration off it from bass! :D

I relocating the amp either tomorrow or Friday and also porting it but what I did was cut it to the size of the mat which laid there previous so one edge would sit under the seat then put a couple of screws at the other end no vibrations as yet :) also gonna be mounting a couple of speakers in there to so redesigning the back sides near the seat

Hello im new to forum today!, I actually made my own flat install today and it has a peice that goes on top incase i want to place stuff in boot just needs carpeting i will post pics, If you need a hand let me know!

Heres the plans for it ( Perfect internal area for 12 inch subs without port!) Thanks to my mate aaron :
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG

in the making :
IMG_0155.JPG

Finished product (Needs Carpet!):
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG

Offtopic but my ipad install :p :
IMG_0150.JPG

Cheers Yatesy p.s if you need hand let me know!

Last edited:
Adam mate good job! Really impressive. I'm going to start mine this weekend hopefully so I shall take pics and share along the way for others to see. Cheers for sharing your build. Really helped me see what I wanted to do. :beer:

That's ok mate enjoy! Simple is best :) here's the picture of the cover that goes over top to protect them :
image.jpg

If you need a hand give me a shout glad I could be of assistance :) cheers adam

Back