General Bucket Seats

Currently reading:
General Bucket Seats

Hi I would like to put bucket seats into my car as i love to sit right back and low down whilst driving. What i want to know is are the Airbags in the seats and is there anyway that you can fit bucket seats into the car and still use the sensors or would i have to get a Capping Resistor.

Resistors it is for the airbags. The only way to do it.

You may be able to incorporate the passanger occupance sensor into your new seats, but that depends on the seats.

Been there and didnt get anywhere with it ..to many airbags and problems associated with them ..I was told resistors will do the trick ..but couldnt be arsed in the end and gave up :(

Been there and didnt get anywhere with it ..to many airbags and problems associated with them ..I was told resistors will do the trick ..but couldnt be arsed in the end and gave up :(

Well i have the resistor thing sloved i believe you get something i think is called a capping resistor just measure the Ohms over the the wires in question and match it.
But my real question is are there airbags in the seats as i have already taken out the airbag from the steering wheel and would be very reluctant to remove any more not just for safety but im sure that the Insurance wont be too happy if i go any thurther.
Im fairly sure that between me and you guys we could come up with a solution to incorporate the sensors into the new seats i would imagine that it is a case of a bit of Mathematics which i can do. There are Advantages to being Dyslexic.:devil:

Resistors it is for the airbags. The only way to do it.

You may be able to incorporate the passanger occupance sensor into your new seats, but that depends on the seats.

I dont plan to do it just yet so i have the time to find the right seats and method of installation. I have much more important things like breaks and Hydraulic suspension to sort it out yet.

Well i have the resistor thing sloved i believe you get something i think is called a capping resistor just measure the Ohms over the the wires in question and match it.
But my real question is are there airbags in the seats as i have already taken out the airbag from the steering wheel and would be very reluctant to remove any more not just for safety but im sure that the Insurance wont be too happy if i go any thurther.
Im fairly sure that between me and you guys we could come up with a solution to incorporate the sensors into the new seats i would imagine that it is a case of a bit of Mathematics which i can do. There are Advantages to being Dyslexic.:devil:

I there are air bags in the seats, there will a small label on the seat back, on the side which will inform you if air bags are fitted.

There are airbags in the seats but I think fiat dropped the OSC mat in the passenger side seat on later models..easy way around that one though is to put the mat under the carpet under the seat ;) and did you know that the alfa 166 front seats are a direct fit into the stilo :idea: I did find one electrician who told me he could do it but wouldn't because of safety issues..so that was when I decided to kick the project into touch ..

Last edited:
The airbag system is an SRS system (supplementary restraint system). i.e. not required for MOT or insurance purposes. The car is perfectley legal without any airbags.

Ive been thinking about this for ages, want some bucket seats but kept getting told i couldnt do it without have the airbag light on constantly, if you do succeed then a guide would be very helpfull :D

also im guessing you removed the airbag from the wheel to fit an aftermarket wheel, how you do it? any problems?

Ive been thinking about this for ages, want some bucket seats but kept getting told i couldnt do it without have the airbag light on constantly, if you do succeed then a guide would be very helpfull :D

also im guessing you removed the airbag from the wheel to fit an aftermarket wheel, how you do it? any problems?

Yeah your right about the wheel and i still havnt actually got rid of the Air bag light but im pretty sure all you have to do is measure the ohms over the wires and fit a capping resistor to match you can apparently buy them from decent electrical stores.
I would really like to keep the airbags if i can so well ill have to do a bit of research for a couple of months and see what happens.

by capping resistor im asuming you just mean a normal resistor to match internal circuit resistance?

how do you go about fitting the steering wheel tho, or more importantly removing the old one without geting a face full of airbag, oh and how heavy would you say the original wheel with airbag is? (may sound odd but considering putting my car on a diet as soon as i have found out whether bucket seats are possible

Last edited:
apparently buy them from decent electrical stores.

Try maplins..that's what I was told ..:) and if you want to keep the seat airbags you will have to find some way of cutting open the bucket seat and fitting them in place and that will mean partly destroying the seat and sowing it back up ..you might have to get the seats reupholstered and that's going to be expensive in the long run ..might be worth checking if any alfa bucket seats are compatible ..as I have already said the 166 seats are direct replacement but they are not really a full bucket in the true sense of the word..

Last edited:
if thats all there is to it fitting a few pence worth of resistor then why has no-onre ( to my knowledge) done it before, i myt have a go when i get paid lol

so does anyone know roughly how much the steering wheel (including airbag) weighs

how much the front seats (including airbag) weigh

and back seats

and spare wheel?

i know its off topic but dint think it was worth a new thread

so does anyone know roughly how much the steering wheel (including airbag) weighs

how much the front seats (including airbag) weigh

and back seats

and spare wheel?

i know its off topic but dint think it was worth a new thread

I take it you are thinking of removing some of the seats so the car will weigh less and improve due to power to weight ratio :chin: you might find it hard on the back when Sh***ing in the back of the car if you do so ..

Last edited:
I take it you are thinking of removing some of the seats so the car will weigh less and improve due to power to weight ratio :chin: you might find it hard on the back when Sh***ing in the back of the car if you do so ..

lol Phils back on form!:slayer:, i was lookng at the same idea but wouldnt buckets sit too low in a stilo as the seats a high as it is?? well the 5 door is i know

Last edited:
lol Phils back on form!:slayer:, i was lookng at the same idea but wouldnt buckets sit too low in a stilo as the seats a high as it is?? well the 5 door is i know

I was going to make my own subframes for my 5dr or possibly adapt the originals..I couldnt find any online for the stilo anyway ..

Last edited:
I was going to make my own sub-frames for my 5dr or possibly adapt the originals..I couldn't find any online for the stilo anyway ..

Sparco do sub frames specifically for the stilo and they use your existing sliding mechanism. The only problem I've found (fitted one tonight) is you have to use spacers for the seat belt anchor, as it won't clear the seat base (assuming your fitting Milano 2 seats) and they won't slide forward when you use the tilt function for three door models. You will need to use the cable from your existing seat and try to connect it to the lever on the new seats just like the factory seat! won't affect you Phil, having a five door though!

I bought mine from demon tweekes and were delivered today, they cost £43.02 each pus delivery and VAT.

Sparco part numbers are:
S/S00499029DX
S/S00499029SX

I'm told by demon tweekes that there are only one type for the stilo (Sparco), as they use the existing sliding runners. So I'm assuming its just the runners are different between 3 and 5 doors?

GOOD INFO

bits i didnt understand but oh well lol.

so has anyone mastered the airbags yet?

Back