Technical Broken fuel tank studs

Currently reading:
Technical Broken fuel tank studs

During the summer I took my B over to Wales to see its former owner. He was happy she was in good shape and being used but I did mention to him the fuel smell and that I should get round to looking into it. He then told me it had never smelled until his mechanic had changed the fuel pump and snapped several of the studs. I whipped off the cover and he's not wrong:
1694962268772.png

There's three of them like that and I'm sure that's not helping matters. This isn't something I've any experience of, is it fixable or should I be looking at a replacement fuel tank? I'm aware than even fixing this and replacing the seals may not solve the smell but it looks like an avenue to explore over the winter.

That's a pain, given that the bolts are secured in plastic of tank I can't think of an easy repair, so it does point towards a new tank.
Pity mechanic didn't use a little oil and a lot of care, if worse came to worse and they wouldn't undo then a junior hacksaw or similar hand tool (no sparks) could have cut the side off the nut and saved the studs.

That's a pain, given that the bolts are secured in plastic of tank I can't think of an easy repair, so it does point towards a new tank.
Pity mechanic didn't use a little oil and a lot of care, if worse came to worse and they wouldn't undo then a junior hacksaw or similar hand tool (no sparks) could have cut the side off the nut and saved the studs.
The Barchetta has a steel tank, all models.

New studs could be welded on. Tank would have to be completely drained and a high volume airline inserted into the taken and kept running whilst the new studs are welded on. Ideally an eletric current spot heat contact weld if that can be done.

I would first try Speedy Fix two part plastic glue. This stuff has to be seen to be believed, It doesnt look pretty but its as near to adding new plastic as possible. It works magic on those plastics other glues cannot fix.

Thank you all. As @s130 says the tank is steel. I've found a local firm https://www.arrowrad.co.uk/fuel-tanks.html that I'll get in touch with and see if they're willing to try welding some new studs on. I planned on stripping the interior this winter to check the floor, so makes sense to attack the tank too.

@The Panda Nut I like the look and sound of that glue, I may get some in for other uses.

The Barchetta has a steel tank, all models.

New studs could be welded on. Tank would have to be completely drained and a high volume airline inserted into the taken and kept running whilst the new studs are welded on. Ideally an eletric current spot heat contact weld if that can be done.
Looking at the photo I thought it was plastic? I have seen steel petrol tanks welded in the past after steam cleaning, but it is not without risk and certainly not something I would do. I always say I would prefer to be dead before cremation.:)

Looking at the photo I thought it was plastic? I have seen steel petrol tanks welded in the past after steam cleaning, but it is not without risk and certainly not something I would do. I always say I would prefer to be dead before cremation.:)
Me neither, that said pre-uni (with Exxon in Brussels) and industraing at Harwell I learnt about eletrical swith gear in hazardous / chemical plants. The the electrical cupboards and switch and relay boxes where fumes my be pressent have continous air pumpt throught them. This stops a fume build up and keeps the explosive mix ration well within safe limits.

But I doubt I would ever attempt to weld a fuel tank becuase knowing my luck (see below) "BOOM".

So just had a tree come down in may back garden. Crushed a self assembly green house, may have hamage a £400 shed, taken some fence.....

Too big for me to chop up and remove.

Insurnace excess is £350 but insurance company sais that becuase the wind according to their information was gusting to 47mph this is below the 55mph storm damage limit so they will pay to any damage but I have to pay for the tree removal. Assessor will decide if tree removal is covered. Grrrrrr .

But I doubt I would ever attempt to weld a fuel tank becuase knowing my luck (see below) "BOOM".

So just had a tree come down in may back garden. Crushed a self assembly green house, may have hamage a £400 shed, taken some fence.....

Insurnace excess is £350 but insurance company sais that becuase the wind according to their information was gusting to 47mph this is below the 55mph storm damage limit so they will pay to any damage but I have to pay for the tree removal. Assessor will decide if tree removal is covered. Grrrrrr .
Even after steam cleaning the heat of welding can release small traces of fuel in seams etc.:(
Insurance policies are geared to not having to pay out and to having as many let out clauses as possible in the small print.
Dowm here the weather is meant to be worse tomorrow.

Me neither, that said pre-uni (with Exxon in Brussels) and industraing at Harwell I learnt about eletrical swith gear in hazardous / chemical plants. The the electrical cupboards and switch and relay boxes where fumes my be pressent have continous air pumpt throught them. This stops a fume build up and keeps the explosive mix ration well within safe limits.

Logs??

Sorry to hear its just one thing after another at the moment with prices and costs

The studs look the same fittings as the metal tank on my gt punto , I had to have the filler neck welded up many years ago , I removed the tank and he run a steam cleaner through it before welding it up safely 👍🏻

I brazed up a hole in a motorbike tank many years ago. We stuffed towelling in to remove any liquid and then ran a cylinder vacuum cleaner hose in it for an hour to get rid of any vapours. Still here to tell the tale! Lol.

At work back in the 1970's when tanks were still steel they were gently steamed for 24 hours before working on them and local Serck rad. repair company did the same before repairing the petrol tank on my Land Rover

Quick overdue update. Arrow radiators replaced the studs and gave the tank a good clean so happy with them.
Reinstallation went OK apart from the fuel pump seal which took several goes before we felt that it was sitting correctly. I have a suspicion that the mechanic who fitted the fuel pump never really got it sitting correctly as it did look a bit pinched when it came out. So I'm hoping that a full set of studs and a well fitted seal will make a difference. The car fired up OK after we'd finished but any testing now needs to wait for the spring when it comes off SORN.
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

During the summer I took my B over to Wales to see its former owner. He was happy she was in good shape and being used but I did mention to him the fuel smell and that I should get round to looking into it. He then told me it had never smelled until his mechanic had changed the fuel pump and snapped several of the studs. I whipped off the cover and he's not wrong:
View attachment 430001
There's three of them like that and I'm sure that's not helping matters. This isn't something I've any experience of, is it fixable or should I be looking at a replacement fuel tank? I'm aware than even fixing this and replacing the seals may not solve the smell but it looks like an avenue to explore over the winter.
You could drill into the stud and use a sheet-metal screw. Lots easier than replacing the tank ;) grtz ER

Back