General Breakdown cover

Currently reading:
General Breakdown cover

tipojp

My breakdown cover is due to end, so now I'm shopping around for my options. Would be great to have recommendations please? I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who have had to use the service and can recommend from experience. Thank you!

My breakdown cover is due to end, so now I'm shopping around for my options. Would be great to have recommendations please? I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who have had to use the service and can recommend from experience. Thank you!

How much driving do you do..?

I do 25k, and then another 10 + 10 in other FIATs

So I have a "personal policy"

It's £105 and covers me and spouse at same level of ' whatever you are in'

Used it lots over the years.. Greenflag.. was national breakdown.. and Caravan Mayday

My Renault camper kept them busy..

Last call out was when the Pandas oil filter failed the day after a maindealer service

Greenflag used to be run out of somewhere 10 minutes away.. But now almost an hour away..

But me often being 100 miles away it probably doesn't change anything

There have been a few.
'being ripped off by AA'. threads..
SEARCH will find them 😉

GEM Motoring assist have a good reputation. I have been with them a number of years but never needed them yet thankfully. GEM used to be the CVM which has been around for a very very long time. I have a high degree of confidence in them from what I have heard, My Dad was a member at least 60 years ago. If you decide to go this way and I may be able to pass an ontroductory discount to you.

I have been in RAC and didnt have a good experience, and AA which I have used and the service was good.

Some banks, credit cards and Trades unions offer discounts.

Also ask your insurer if they have a scheme you can join as these are cheaper but be warned all of these things may only provide a very basic level of service,

AA tends to be "Relay" operate in zones / regions. A distant breakdown could mean a 12+ hour recovery.. Several unloads and loads on the way

We did Oxford / Snowdonia in 3 with the trailer in tow with green flag.. Guy arrived in FIAT - Alfa overalls and told us it was a 6 workshop hours job.. Plus time for parts.. So recovered in comfort. 👍

How much driving do you do..?

I do 25k, and then another 10 + 10 in other FIATs

So I have a "personal policy"

It's £105 and covers me and spouse at same level of ' whatever you are in'

Used it lots over the years.. Greenflag.. was national breakdown.. and Caravan Mayday

My Renault camper kept them busy..

Last call out was when the Pandas oil filter failed the day after a maindealer service

Greenflag used to be run out of somewhere 10 minutes away.. But now almost an hour away..

But me often being 100 miles away it probably doesn't change anything

There have been a few.
'being ripped off by AA'. threads..
SEARCH will find them 😉
I average about 9k miles per year.

I don't mind personal or vehicle based cover, I'm just looking for something comprehensive. There are too many exclusions in some policies.

GEM Motoring assist have a good reputation. I have been with them a number of years but never needed them yet thankfully. GEM used to be the CVM which has been around for a very very long time. I have a high degree of confidence in them from what I have heard, My Dad was a member at least 60 years ago. If you decide to go this way and I may be able to pass an ontroductory discount to you.

I have been in RAC and didnt have a good experience, and AA which I have used and the service was good.

Some banks, credit cards and Trades unions offer discounts.

Also ask your insurer if they have a scheme you can join as these are cheaper but be warned all of these things may only provide a very basic level of service,
Thanks for the suggestion. GEM seems to have good reviews across different platforms. I hadn't even heard of them until now. I've also had bad experience with RAC.

What is the introductory discount?

AA tends to be "Relay" operate in zones / regions. A distant breakdown could mean a 12+ hour recovery.. Several unloads and loads on the way

We did Oxford / Snowdonia in 3 with the trailer in tow with green flag.. Guy arrived in FIAT - Alfa overalls and told us it was a 6 workshop hours job.. Plus time for parts.. So recovered in comfort. 👍
Many of the smaller breakdown companies use local recovery services, so you don't have to wait as long as RAC/AA.

I've avoided Green Flag for years since my uncle was them. They broke down at 10pm, and Green Flag took them to a local dealer then left them there.

Thanks for the suggestion. GEM seems to have good reviews across different platforms. I hadn't even heard of them until now. I've also had bad experience with RAC.

What is the introductory discount?
Im not sure I think I can get 10 or 20 if I submit your details prior to you applying. very happy to pass whatever over to you. Will check abd get back shortly

I've avoided Green Flag for years since my uncle was them. They broke down at 10pm, and Green Flag took them to a local dealer then left them there.
Happens to them all..
Friend broke down near NEC Birmingham on smart motorway on a Sunday afternoon..
Dragged off mway and dropped in a now closed Tesco (4 pm Sunday..)

Had to pay £300 extra for onward recovery.. That then took another 7 hours to get the 60 miles home, that years AA Renewal got ignored 😉

Gem give you a £10 M&S or Amazon voucher. I get one too for £20 which could go to a childrens charity. Cou;d be a nice little Christmas gift from the Forum, They are advertising £78 for cover. I think I pay £135 for family cover on 3 cars. What I like is that they have a fair pricing policy and have not hiked prices since covid in like many other things and places, It must go up this year or it will be the 4th year with no rise. I shall email and ask if they would allow redirection of the vouchers. A nice social responsibility policy??

Last edited:
Gem give you a £10m M&S or Amazon voucher. I get one too for £20 which could go to a childrens charity. Cou;d be a nice little Christmas gift from the Forum, They are advertising £78 for cover. I think I pay £135 for family cover on 3 cars. What I like is that they have a fair pricing policy and have not hiked prices since covid in like many other things and places, It must go up this year or it will be the 4th year with no rise. I shall email and ask if they would allow redirection of the vouchers. A nice social responsibility policy??
A £10 million m&s voucher!!!!

Thanks all for your suggestions, I went with LV Britannia, which looks very comprehensive and doesn't have a lot of exclusions like other providers have. They were also rated best breakdown provider by Honest John.

Back