Technical break pipes

Currently reading:
Technical break pipes

punto team

today i got a fiat recall notace about break pipes but shound it have all ready been done my car is a 1996 n reg 55s and i was wondering if it was worth it to take it in because i cheacked the pipes my self and thay are okay an i put grease on the joints but if i take it in i bet they will try and find other things wrong

if you have had a notice through then take it its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to brakes

plus they do all the work for free so it aint gonna cost u and as for finding anything else they wont be checking for anything so it is really unlikley

thay said thay will have to remove the fuel tank but will they remove the exsust back box as it runs underneath the tank

Technically yes the exhaust is in the way but normally the rear silencer support is disconnected and the whole system is lowered and supported on a stand the the straps that hold the fuel tank are removed and the tank is lowered to allow the pipes to be checked, they MUST do this as the design of the tank and the route of the pipes allow water to collect in a puddle on the top of the tank and the pipes sit in it and rust away the rest may look like new but that part will be rusty, most dealers end up renewing the pipes because they claim this back off Fiat ( It could even pass the MOT but you cannot see above the tank, don`t risk leaving it)

if thay replace the pipes on top of the fuel tank will it still be free
and exect thay will bleed the brakesas well

HI,
While I was in a motor factors, an old guy as a customer there, over heard me saying I was a Punto owner (55s 1997 3 door). He informed me about the recall on Punto brakes. I've owned the car now about 4.4 months and heard nothing to this affect from Fiat.
What do you recommend.

My brakepipes where done by the previous owner in 2001 so this recall have been for a long time I guess.

I had my recall notification come through a few weeks back after I purchased the car privately. Still learning so I got my Dad to take the car to the garage with me as I needed to get the alternator looked at also, so I got them to check the brake pipes. Told me they needed doing and would order the parts, so although it is an old recall not all cars have been done. Certainly worth while getting it checked just incase.

Kjata said:
I had my recall notification come through a few weeks back after I purchased the car privately. Still learning so I got my Dad to take the car to the garage with me as I needed to get the alternator looked at also, so I got them to check the brake pipes. Told me they needed doing and would order the parts, so although it is an old recall not all cars have been done. Certainly worth while getting it checked just incase.

welcome to the forum :)

Re: brake pipes

I had this recall through too - but it was summer 03 (ive got 55s 1996 p reg). Took it in for the day and they sorted it out, all good..

Definately wouldnt recommend leaving it though - has possibility of negating insurance if Fiat have given ample notice, and there is an accident caused by failure.

JoJo xx

does anyone know if they replace all of the brake pipes, ie from the the brake fluid resevoir to brake server and to all the respective wheels ? I had mine done on recall a few years ago yet it still failled its mot last month due to the brake pipe to the n/s being corroded..............obviously that wasnt done :confused:

only the 2 main pipes running front too back and the compensator too flex pipes are changed as a part of the recall, i would also guess that fiat have done almost all of them now since the majority of break pipe recalls ive been doing recently are on very late end of the line puntos.
if you have owned the car for over 3 years and havent had the recall notice i would recomend you request a sigi check at your local dealer for outstanding recalls, if they wont check it for you say you lost the letter or something :D

I got this recall letter October last year due to time still haven't got this done work, is the letter still valid ?

as far as im aware its indefinate, a recall is a recall nad has or should be done as its a safety issue. If you get your car serviced at a fiat dealership then they should be telling you it needs done anyway. I would take along to a fiat garage and get it done mate.

i HAD A FACTORY RECALL FOR MINE. i TOOK MINE IN AND THEY CHECKED THEM AND EVERYTHING WAS OK. tHEY DIDN'T TELL ME I HAD TO GET ANYTHING ELSE DONE. dUDE IT'S FREE OF CHARGE JUST DO IT TO BE SAFE. MINES A 99 PUNTO S WITH 43,000 AND MINE NEEDED CHANGING SO I AM SURE YOURS CERTIANLY WILL TOO!

mine went in the other day and i had all of the break pipes changed must have cost a lot to change all of them ??????

Back