Technical Bravo handling on different size rims

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo handling on different size rims

Fergie

Hi there,

My 1.9 Mjet 150 Dynamic currently rolls on 16s with 205/55/16 rubber.

I'm thinking of upgrading the wheels to either 17s or 18s (in both cases would be Fiat with correct offset etc).

Does anyone have any experience of the difference in handling and ride between the various different sizes?

Suspension is standard, though I do have a front strut brace :)

experience of both 225/45-17 and 225/40-18 in both trackday, summer and winter compound

225/45-17 perfectly fine size wise good balance of grip and handling and comfort

18" lowered looks the business though...

Last edited:
Did the strut brace made any difference?

It makes a huge difference - especially when pulling out to overtake - no more wallowing and the car goes where I want it :D

It was a straight fit on my 1.9 mjet (though I had to take the wipers and scuttle pan off to do it). The only draw back is I had to completely remove the plastic engine cover as it was catching the brace under load. I tried cutting it back, but it would still catch :mad: Its fine without it, but with it on it would send loads of vibrations through the steering wheel...

I believe they were designed for the 1.4, so I don't know if they would fit with the other engines or not.

Had 15" 195/65/15 winter tyres WINTER CONDITIONS four years - soft ride due to higher tire, but the whole car felt wobbly through corners at higher speed, but could be controlled without a problem.The tyre is narrow and the car is heavy. At higher speed on the motorway no problem at all, higher grip in snow, but also a bit lower ride, could touch ice sometimes.On diesel I had consumption 4.8l/100 with winter and summer 225/45/17 I had 5.2 or 5.3l.

205/55/16 winter tyres one winter, very comfortable,quiet, predictable ride without any problems.Nice cornering.

225/45/17 summer tyres 5 seasons, a bit of a bumpy ride on bad roads, the whole car is harder, goes through sharp turns like an arrow, feels glued to the road, but as I said on poor roads it can be harsh for the car and the driver.Sometimes I feel pain when I drive into the pothole I could not avoid and I hear the bump. On highway the car has no problems and is predictable, only a bit louder than 16 inch. Except when you go across bridges and you drive over 20cm of steel frame on both sides of the bridge, I makes a funny noise.

For maximum comfort allround use I would choose 16inch. Or if it was possible a bit higher 17inch and 50 instead of 45, but it is against the law. 18 with height 40 is too low, although the car looks nice. My car has default springs and it is not lowered.

Due to the looks I have 225/45/17, and I avoid potholes and bad roads. :) Consumption is just a bit higher.

I only have experience on 18s, handles very well but does crash about a bit, mind you its not as bad as my mum's A3 on 18s!.

End of the day it's going to be a compromise between handling and comfort no matter what size you go for, depends what you would rather have. :)

I managed to pick up a set of 2nd hand Bravo Sport 18s in great condition for a fair price. Only issue is the back tyres have never been rotated / treated / replaced so even though they have a legal tread depth, it is beginning to separate at the sidewalls...

I fitted the 2 'good' tyres to the front last night (so running 18s front and 16s rear) and the difference in handling is scary good. Car feels a lot more planted and no wheel spin at all. Yes, I may have lost a wee bit of acceleration, but I think the better cornering will make up for that. I'm still to try them in the wet or over a rougher road, but seemed not too bad on dual carriageway etc.

I'll try and post some pics later today as its interesting seeing a car sitting on 2 different sizes of wheel. (And before anyone starts commenting, it is legal to run different wheels on different axles - just not the same ones. I've ordered a couple of new 18s which are being fitted on Wed for the other pair anyway.)

Bravo.jpg

May I know which company makes this strut braces for the Fiat Bravo 1.4T-jet?

Thanks and Cheers.

May I know which company makes this strut braces for the Fiat Bravo 1.4T-jet?

Thanks and Cheers.

The strut brace is by ultra racing. I got it from potn last year, but I think they have almost doubled the price. Various sellers stock them.

How much do you want for the 16s?

Plan is to keep the 16s as winter wheels.

One of the alloys is also 'twisted' thanks to a crater last xmas. It was bearable on the rear, but unbearable on the front. I'll maybe see if it can be straightened out or replaced as well.

I pressume the strut brace would fit the 2.0 fine?

Its designed and sold for the 1.4 which will be a much smaller block.

It bolted straight onto my 1.9, but I had to remove the engine cover to stop it fouling under load.

Back