Technical Bravo 1.2 16v 2000 head gasket?

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo 1.2 16v 2000 head gasket?

Kat123

Hello,

I'm after some advice please.
I have a 2000 Bravo, 1.2 16v SX with 64,000 miles. The head gasket has gone but before this there were no other problems.
I was told by the garage that a head gasket repair on a bravo of this make and model is more difficult than a standard head gasket repair and that if I do get it repaired it may fail again.
I have been told this by two garages who explained that it may end up costing more than the car is worth.

I found somebody that can do it for £350 and I am wondering if it is worth spending this money or scrapping the car.

Any advide would be appreciated
Thanks
Kat

Don't understand what they mean by a standard head gasket?
Bravo is no differant than most cars of its age, 1.2 is a twin cam but only driven by one thoothed pully, so that is not a problem, it is quite a straight forward job, I had mine done around 3 years back around 62K on it I think it was back then, it has over 150k on it now.
Just make sure you get new head bolts, and have the head presure tested and maybe skimed, take care getting it off as it is alloy.
I think you are allowed 3 skims of it before it is FOBAR. the skim shop will know if it has been skimmed before, presure test is a must as it will show up any cracks in the head.
It is worth doing right now, as mine was, I think I spent around £400 in the end on it, but as said that was 3 years ago not dropped a spot of water since plus it has a cambelt done as well whilst it was down.
Depends really on you and how long you intend to keep the car, if it runs sweet before and you like it, do it, if you scrap and buy another you could end up buying another head job or worse, better the devil you know as they say, just make sure it is done right now, as in new head bolts, good quality h/gasket, and deffinatly a presure test, it is an alloy head so it could crack anywhere and skim it as any imperfection in the face can cause another gasket pop.
The job itself is not that hard, not much differant than any other car in fact.

Thanks very much for the advice just what I wanted to hear! Getting it looked within the week, so fingers crossed! I love my Bravo :D

Hi there. Definately agree with Thrisey. I have a 99 1.2SX Brava and had to have head gasket sorted. Might be worth while having the water pump changed at same time as they are driven by the toothed side of the belt.

Extra: they are only about £25 and it is totally accessible while the cambelt is off, so wont add to much to the final bill.

Back