Technical Brava 80sx Y reg head gasket repair guide

Currently reading:
Technical Brava 80sx Y reg head gasket repair guide

whiggy94

Hi, is their a guide for doing the headgasket on a 2001 brava 1.2? i'm thinking of trying this myself and what would i need to undertake this? the head cant be skimmed again as it was done 3 times in 2008 due to the garage messing it up the first 2 times. However the car has never overheated and even when it broke down last week it didnt overheat, so i'm going to try just replacing gasket.....:) Any help/advice welcome, thanks.

I had to replace mine over the weekend :( it blew inbetween the first two cylinders :S
Thing Id say to look out for, when u take the head off, I believe they are the lifters, fall out of the head, Its quite difficult to get the plastic manifold off too but there is 4 bolts underneath at the back in a very small space :(! I don't know what else to say other than good luck!

Clean the surfaces well, this is a common mistake ive seen garages do alot. Youll need an M9 ribe for the extention bolts and head bolts. They need to be tightened in a certain sequence and by degrees, not lbs ft of torque. Make sure the pistons are correctly lined up before you put on the head extention (refit the crank pulley and make sure the gap in the teeth is facing the bulkhead) or the car will never run. Lastly, make sure you flush out the cooling system (if its not a hg failure between the cylinders id recomend this anyway) thoroughly for about 100 miles then replace the coolant with the proper paraflu blue. Most hg failures in these cars are due to the wrong coolant being used.

Back