Technical Brava 1.2 16v SX (2001) - ABS

Currently reading:
Technical Brava 1.2 16v SX (2001) - ABS

Hi

I was hoping perhaps someone may know a bit more about the ABS on this model.

Basically we bought this car approx a month ago as a first car. We replaced the battery, and opted for new spark plugs as the car had been standing a bit and the battery was dead. Service history had an invoice for a new cam belt change at 40+K and this car now only had 50+K on the clock. Everything else was perfect.

We took the car to a mechanic to change the sparks and give a quick look over. He said all the belts were new in the engine except for the cam belt and said that he didnt feel it was ever changed. Showed us it was shiny and advised to have it changed.

So we gave him the work, got the car back and took it for a drive on the motorway. +- 20 miles later car broke down.

Cam belt got shredded. The mechanic to the car and said it was the manufacturer fault as the cam belt it self had a fault etc etc

So he got a refurb part with new valves as all the valves were shot and replaced, put different new cam belt on but the car sounded like a bag of spanners.

He then went on to replace the entire engine from a 1.2 16v stilo with 34K on the clock.

All in all got the car back 3 weeks later. I drove the car as i wanted to make sure it was OK. when i hit the brakes as you do, the car slipped and basically lost control and hit the curb. I was only going 35-40m/ph.

We drove it down to Brighton which is where the car "lives" and it is still slipping around with the addition that it has a oil leak and the petrol gage shows empty and no fuel leaking anywhere we can see or smell.

When speaking to the mechanic about this, he said to switch on the car and check if the ABS light comes on (on the dash) which it doesnt, with that he said the car doesn't have ABS as standard on this model (which i dont believe)
He went further to say that if we search for parts for the ABS we will not find any for this model.

The stilo which the engine came from had more electrics apparently, would this maybe have affected the ABS in some way?

I just cannot believe that this car did not have ABS and it wasnt slipping the way it is now prior to the cam belt issue.

I feel this mechanic is a cowboy and basically dont believe much of what he says.

But if anyone else has this model and is able to shed some light on the ABS front it would be much appreciated.

As for the fuel indicator he has wiped his hands off and said "thats Fiat for you" I am just wondering if theres any connection with the two (ABS, Fuel indicator)?

Thank you

Last edited:
Sounds like you have been royally shafted. So much for "professionals".

Anyway, to your initial question :- I currently drive a Bravo 1.2 16v 80SX (2001 = '51 plate) and it certainly DOES have ABS. I would expect the corresponding Brava to therefore also have ABS, as prettymuch everything is common except the body shape.

You can use our version of fiats parts catalogue to check if your car had abs from factory. here http://eper.fiatforum.com/ enter your VIN number then go to the ABS section, and check if your car has ABS. If your struggling you can send me the VIN by private message and i can check for you.

You can still get parts new and even the ABS pumps refurbished. It sounds like he has done a bad job all round. It might be worth selling the car and just getting another sounds like he has ruined it to me.

I cant say for certian on the stilo engine being a direct fit but I do belive it would be if done correctly.

here is a picture of where the ABS unit is and what it looks like. If its in your engine bay you obviously have it.
ABS Unit Bravo, Bravo, Marea

and inside this cover should be the ABS Fuse you could check the fuse. Dont worry if you see an empty relay connector inside that is normal.

Best of luck with it.

Back