Technical Brava 1.2 16v Starting Problems

Currently reading:
Technical Brava 1.2 16v Starting Problems

mrpad

Can Anyone Help.!!!!! I have got a 'w' reg brava 1.2 which does not start first time, but the second time fires perfectly. I have changed the plugs, leads and coil but problem still the same whether the engine is cold or hot. I can't think what else the problem may be. Any ideas...!!!!! :bang:

Do you hear the fuel pump starting noise when you turn on the ignition. May be its malfunctioning and sending less petrol to the engine, and so second time engine has enough petrol to start.

I can hear the fuel pump starting...!!!

Is it common for these to go faulty and are they expensive and easy to replace...???

Usually they dont go faulty, if they go, you can get one from scrapyard and they are easy to replace. Fuel filter may have choked with dirt. But you cant clean it as it is attached to the fuel pump and is inside the fuel tank.

Make sure the key code light goes off before you start the engine, sometimes ecu take fraction of a second more to recognise the key.

Check the connections and wires from around the starter motor, may be some loose connection somewhere.

Thanks....!!! I will try cleaning the fuel filter and check the connections and see what happens....!!!

when it doesnt start on the first attempt do you find the starter motor turns the engine at the same speed as when the car successfully starts (i.e. does it try to start slowly when it doesnt work?)

Hi Jug

The starter motor starts at the same speed. It just seems that it wants to fire but can't. On the next attempt it fires fine....!!!!!:confused:

I dont think I can get access to the fuel filter as its part of the pump. Any suggestions as to what else it might be...!!!!:confused:

Cant think of anything else but try starting with another key, if you have. Loose connection somewhere...

its a strange one, not sure what to suggest?

if its an immobiliser problem you could possibly identify it by inserting the key and turning the ignition on (dash lights), but then not starting the car and instread turning the key back to the off position, if the engine then starts first time you can be fairly sure its an electrical issue with the immobiliser. if it still takes 2 attempts its more likely to be an electrical issue with the starting circuit. but exactly what i cant say.

if it was my car, i'd remove one of the spark plugs and check to see if its sparking on the first attempt when the engine normally wouldnt start. if the plugs definately spark on every first attempt i'd start to think about the possiblity of compression problems, the first attempt is needed to build compression, this is often the case on high milage cars that havent been well looked after. you can do a compression test by removing the spark plugs and sticking a tester in each cylinder, compare the compression in each cylinder, if one is noticably lower, or all 4 are different, you know thats the problem. the solution will be new valve(s) or piston ring(s)

It does take a second or two for the immo to read the key and ECU to acknowledge, so try delaying starting until the immo light has gone off..

Owen.

I had the same problem. The engine would turn once, then stop. Here's what to do.

Change the battery, then have your engine reprogrammed. The mechanic explained what the deal was, but I can't remember exactly what. Had something to do with timing.

My mate knew this guy who had this dog...well his dog shag*ed this other dog and this other dogs owner knew this bloke who used to work on morris minors & he had a problem like yours,turned out it was the points.

p.s.take it to a dealer;)

My Brava also has problems starting in the morning... I turn the key and wait for the pump noise to stop and then start it but it won't turn, it's like there isn't enough petrol to make it going (it kind chokes and turns off) so I try again and as soon as it starts to turn I step on the gas pedal and it starts ok, it idles a bit roughly if I remove my foot until it's beginning to get warm, after that everything is ok...
What could be the problem?

TheCROW said:
My Brava also has problems starting in the morning... I turn the key and wait for the pump noise to stop and then start it but it won't turn, it's like there isn't enough petrol to make it going (it kind chokes and turns off) so I try again and as soon as it starts to turn I step on the gas pedal and it starts ok, it idles a bit roughly if I remove my foot until it's beginning to get warm, after that everything is ok...
What could be the problem?

I'll open a new thread for this...

Back