Technical Brava 1.2 16v coolant leak

Currently reading:
Technical Brava 1.2 16v coolant leak

borisbbarnstable

Hi there,

I am new to Fiats, and this Forum, but wonder if anyone can give me any ideas on coolant loss from my Brava.
I bought this car with the head removed, (I know this is asking for trouble!), but the guy didn't know how to get it back together.
I sent the head for pressure testing and skimming and then put it all back together. Everything looked good, ran very well, new water pump, cam belt etc and I thought I had a good buy...but, although I am not seeing water in the oil, or oil in the water, (coolant), and no leaks I can see, I am loosing coolant somewhere.
Is there something specific to Fiats and this engine I should check? I am wondering if even though I paid to get the head pressure tested and skimed, is it possible that the head could have a crack that only 'shows up' when the engine gets hot.
One thing I did notice was the new inlet manifold gasket was like a 'traditional' gasket, whereas I was expecting more of an 'o-ring', rubber type gasket as the coolant inlet to the head runs through the manifold.

Any help/advice greatly received!:confused:

Hi, thanks for the reply,

Yes it is a split type manifold.
With regard to the bleeding, I did this as best I could, noting the two bleed nipples at the rear of the right hand side of the engine, and with heater on etc. (Is there something more involved though?)
Not sure of exactly how much its leaking, but enough that I do believe it to be more than 'settling' down. The expansion tank seems to go down around an 3-4cm over 30 minutes.
Have left it overnight and removed plugs, turned it over, but seen no evidence of coolant in cylinders - no sqirting fountains!
I guess next step is a Forte sealer or similar, unless you have a better idea????

Again, appreciate the help.
Cheers, borisb

I advice you to check internal heater radiator. It is under central console in the cabin. Just dismount plastic cover beside pedals (one screw and two plastic holders(you must put the center of holder in with screwdriver)) and tip if it is wet there. Leaking heater is very annoying because there is Air-bag ECU under heater and it could be watered with coolant.

I find it quite hard to judge the correct water level for these cars... I think the mark on the reservoir is pretty low down and hard to see.. the bottle should be pretty empty when it is filled correctly. So maybe it is not actually losing water?

I believe the filling / bleeding sequence starts by opening the plug on top of the radiator, then the pipe that goes to the heater, and finally the pipe that comes from the heater (with the extended hose on the side).

I still haven't fully sorted mine... it needed a lot of filling and flushing last year, the water was really rusty until I changed it about 3 times.

I should replace it again this year with the proper blue antifreeze.

Hi there,

Theres some good replies there thanks.
Testing the system pressure sounds really like the test to do. I will look at the heater rad/matrix though as I know some French cars are renowned for that as an issue. I did a quick check and the carpet etc was dry - but I think I need to do it properly as you suggested!
With regard to checking the level, I agree its not the most easy! I found when checking it at 'dusk' shining a light into the tank and looking on the outside the easiest way. Having said that, when I first suspected the leaking, I filled the tank to the base of the filler neck, so I could see any loss easier.

Thanks to you all, I have some things to go at now:)
borisb

I also had coolant leak a couple of years ago and it turned out that it was due to a faulty coolant pump and in particular its ball bearings.

Back