General Brake upgrade

Currently reading:
General Brake upgrade

fatboynash

Need to upgrade the brakes on my 500 since having a 650cc engine fitted. What are my options?

If the engine is standard, the 500 brakes WILL suffice, depending of course how you drive it. Very high quality brake shoes for the 500 can be obtained from Middle Barton Garage who have had a batch of shoes made by Ferodo to the original Fiat specs. If you do fit these shoes, retain AND USE the original brake-shoe return springs.
The next move would be to move up to late 126 drum brakes---but to do this you will have to find a 126 (with a 650 engine) and transfere all the brakes, wheels (different wheel-bolt pattern to the 500) and front hub units to your car. You would end up with stronger front wheel bearings and drum brakes perfectly capable of coping with the extra performance.
The third alternative is to fit disc brakes to the front (ONLY). This is not a cheap option as they would need to be specifically for 12inch wheels, but there are a number of kits on the market. By fitting the smallest available rear wheel cylinders, you can get away with retaining the original 'single-circuit' master cylinder. Eventually it boils down to how much you want to spend, with regard to your driving style

Need to upgrade the brakes on my 500 since having a 650cc engine fitted. What are my options?

Hi Fatboynash. I have the over the top (expensive)front disc brake conversion together with a twin circuit mastercylinder on my car and I couldn’t be happier with it!. It also has a warm 652cc engine. I purchased the kit from Axel Gerstl. It fits the original wheels and keeps the wheel track within a couple of mm’s of the original track. IMG_9367.JPGIMG_9074.JPG

When i first put my almost stock 650 in and had my very first braking the first thing i thought was..sh!%t now i need new brakes! Later i readjust my driving to my new power plant, in fact i have trained myself to use as less brake as i can;) I think that a good condition original brake system is sufficient. On the other hand it is cool to have disc brakes so if i had the money i would choose disc brakes.

Ha Ha Peter it is Hot enough i guess and it is getting hotter those days, i am not sure if we manage to stay closed at home anymore. Time to open the engine hood.

I moved over to 126 brakes a long time ago.
Happy with the brakes. It will lock up if I stamp on the pedal and I don't drive aggressive enough to need any more stopping power than that.
a 126 master cylinder can be fitted in place without an adaption elbow kit, but you need to make a hole in the bulkhead to give room for the M/cylinder to fit through, then bolt the M/cylinder straight onto the pedal box and shorten the brake plunger pin. It's been like that for 15 years or so. I don't think it's going to fail any time soon!

I just bought front disc brakes and 126 rear hubs. I had to switch from 4x190 PCD wheels to 4x98 PCD. Just something to keep in mind, you may need to do the same if you get new brakes / hubs /etc.

Back