Technical Brake questions

Currently reading:
Technical Brake questions

richa

Hi,

I recently changes the brake pads, discs and shoes on my Punto. To get them on we had to let out some brake fluid. Now the brake pedal goes down much further than normal. Does this mean I need to bleed the brakes? Also, there is a clunking/rubbing noise coming from the offside rear brake with every rotation of the wheel. Any ideas what this could be?

Cheers

If you let the fluid out the bottom it probably does need bleeding. Best way to remove excess is with a syringe body at the reservoir. The clunk could be lot's of things but I would open it up again and redo it. Did you press the pedal to set the shoes before adjusting the cable?

when fitting the shoes
Did you set the adjusters (auto) to Minimum while the handbrake cable was 100% slack?

If no, then the rear adjusters dont max out to the correct point

so the rear cylinders have to go out more = more pedal travel

Its also just as plausable that you let air in, so bleed the brake properly
Or do 1 step better, replace the brake fluid
Why? it lasts only 2 years anyway due to the hygroscopic nature that it is

Ziggy

Great, I'll change the fluid.

I didn't slacken or adjust the handbrake at all. Guessing I should have done this? I'll probably need to refit the shoes anyway as I don't think I applied any copper grease :doh:

Great, I'll change the fluid.

I didn't slacken or adjust the handbrake at all. Guessing I should have done this? I'll probably need to refit the shoes anyway as I don't think I applied any copper grease :doh:

yes the slack adjuster in the centre console under handbrake
I practically have this falling off upon slackening
So it makes drums easier to remove AND it means the adjuster move correctly

Ziggy

Hi,

I recently changes the brake pads, discs and shoes on my Punto. To get them on we had to let out some brake fluid. Now the brake pedal goes down much further than normal. Does this mean I need to bleed the brakes? Also, there is a clunking/rubbing noise coming from the offside rear brake with every rotation of the wheel. Any ideas what this could be?

Cheers
If you didn't replace the drums you could easily have shoes that are slightly wider than the worn track of the old drum and the dirt and corrosion in the drum, outside the worn track could be scraping at the new shoes.
Even if you put new everything on there there would still be high spots on the shoes to be bedded in to match the drum. So if you put a bit of handbrake on, wheel in the air the wheel would bite at certain places until the new shoes had the high spots worn off.

Back