Technical Brake pipe union/nipple size

Currently reading:
Technical Brake pipe union/nipple size

These seem to vary by year. I think I'm looking for 10mm x 1.00 long unionsj the solid pipes into the rear wheel cylinders (1969F). I'm sure some of you know this spec. precisely. I would appreciate a clue (or two). ;)

Last edited:
Hi Peter,

I, too, thought they might be 10x1.00mm (for some reason this size comes to mind for Fiats, maybe I'm thinking of the brake light switch thread size?) but Ricambio only show M10x1.25mm on their website.

www.ricambio.co.uk/brake-union-m10-x-1-25-fiat-500-126-600-850

I'm surprised no one has responded thus far...

P.S. Have you seen the Miniservo Brake Master Cylinder, the Complete Brake Overhaul Kit (seems good value) and the various brake pipe kits on the Ricambio website?

Regards,

Al.

I, too, thought they might be 10x1.00mm (for some reason this size comes to mind for Fiats, maybe I'm thinking of the brake light switch thread size?) but Ricambio only show M10x1.25mm on their website.

I've checked the old union in a M10 x 1.25 nut and it's a perfect fit so thank-you Al F123C. I also have a pair of unused cylinders for my van and at a pinch I think I could have got away with them despite them having the 16mm rather than 19mm diameter, but they do have a 10 x 1.0 thread which confused me.

Have you seen the Miniservo Brake Master Cylinder, the Complete Brake Overhaul Kit (seems good value) and the various brake pipe kits on the Ricambio website?

I haven't seen this before:

https://www.ricambio.co.uk/miniservo-brake-master-cylinder-classic-fiat-500

I'm sure it's going to become a "must-have" upgrade for the Fiat 500.;)

I have a "servo" master-cylinder on my 500 and was purchased to give me a bit more 'bite' with my front disc conversion. Be careful where you buy them from! My colleage and I bought a total of 4 from "very well known Italian supplier" (he needed 3, me, just 1).They were totally unusable! Eventually we got round the problem by honing out the bore of the master cylinder and using different seals (from a Volvo if my memory serves me correctly). They also came with no facility to fit the brake-light switch, so I had to design a switch-bracket for fitment on the brake-pedal and have the pedal modified slightly. Modified and enhanced in this manner, the switch works well. I think that a end-plug with brake-light facility was eventually found--from a Peugeot! Despite a friend of my colleague going round to the company that sold us the master-cylinders (and basically being told to b----r off) AND me writing to the manufacturer of the master cylinder (and that took a bit of finding--people were VERY reluctant to to tell us who they were) we had absolutely no response or assistance in sorting the problem---not even a courteous acknowledgement of our letter, which was in Italian. I have a friend who's wife is an Italian/English translater and she transcribed my letter into proper Italian. My colleague and I were not amused!
! will concede that the "servo" master cylinder that Ricambi is selling DOES have a brake-light switch facility, so there is a good chance that the item that they are selling is of a higher quality (and possibly different manufacturer). My advice is to have a word with Ricambi prior to buying the part regarding customer buying history and satisfaction.

It turns out that my local suppliers don't stock the M10 x 1.25 although (possibly not listening to me carefully enough) they did kindly give me 10 of the M10 x 1.00 as a freebie with some other parts; so I have a starter pack for when I get round to the 900 van.

The unions are also of the longer type which means good old eBay is getting another bashing. ;)

It turns out that my local suppliers don't stock the M10 x 1.25 although (possibly not listening to me carefully enough) they did kindly give me 10 of the M10 x 1.00 as a freebie with some other parts; so I have a starter pack for when I get round to the 900 van.

The unions are also of the longer type which means good old eBay is getting another bashing. ;)

Hi Peter,

I looked up a few other websites, all of which seemed to only stock the 10x1.00 size brake pipe unions.

However:-
www.demon-tweaks.com/eu/automec-male-fitting-for-brake-pipe-247430
appear to have the 10x1.25mm unions in brass, (@ £3.40 ea. + plus presumably p&p :cry:) you have to select from the drop down box for this size - be careful these 10mm pipe unions afaik come in 3 types - short, long and 'no-lead-in' versions.
- the above is just in case you fail to obtain some from Ricambio or elsewhere.

Iirc, 10x1.00mm is a size used on Fiat brake banjo bolts and brake flexible hoses (male ends) - any possibility that your wheel cylinders for the 900 van connect directly to the brake hoses (by screwing them in) or by using banjo bolts?

With the cost of p&p that some of the websites are charging (e.g. £7.50 for one brake pipe union, same for a pack of 10 :bang: ), I'd be tempted to just drill a hole in a 10x1.25mm bolt and chamfer the end - at least I'd have a 17mm headed union to unscrew in future - surely my spanner wouldn't slip on that... :D

Regards,

Al.

Good idea about making a brake nut Al.....but I patiently waited the three days it took a first class package to arrive. Fifty nuts for eleven quid

What simplicity when you have the correct part. Top to bottom...M10 x 1.25 long. M10 x 1.25 short.M10 x 1.00.
Plus one if the bleed screws I replaced, helpfully labelled "M8 Fiat" at my local parts store..appear to be x 1.25. [emoji106] IMG_20200913_121956_920.jpeg

Back