Technical Brake light not working any ideas ??

Currently reading:
Technical Brake light not working any ideas ??

Hi all, I had a brake light out on my fiat panda 2013 drivers side, so took the unit out to change the bulb on inspection the bulb looked fine, so tried a new one and still no luck taillights still work on that side just thee brake light is not and brake lights work on the passenger side and top. Any other ideas on what could cause it not to work TIA

I have had Fiat Puntos and Doblos that the wiring plug into the lamp unit corrodes and causes issues.
Jam brake pedal on with a piece of wood or similar from the drivers seat and try wriggling etc. the connector plug, the holders as well have only aluminium terminals so easily corrode.
Note , only leave brake lights on for a very short while as can overheat due to higher wattage than rest of rear lights and usually only on in normal use for a short time.

I have had Fiat Puntos and Doblos that the wiring plug into the lamp unit corrodes and causes issues.
Jam brake pedal on with a piece of wood or similar from the drivers seat and try wriggling etc. the connector plug, the holders as well have only aluminium terminals so easily corrode.
Note , only leave brake lights on for a very short while as can overheat due to higher wattage than rest of rear lights and usually only on in normal use for a short time.
Thanks very much I’ll give it ago, is there anything you can use to clean the terminals with aswell ?

You can buy proprietary ‘electrical contact cleaner’ I was actually surprised how good it works (don’t use whilst ‘powered’)
Any good motor factors should stock it

only on in normal use for a short time.
Unless its a big German car with those super bright LED rear lamps and its in front of me at a traffic lights at night..... Pet hates, this one is off the scale. I assume the super bright lights are there to make up for the 100% dull drivers involved.

I know old age doesn't help ., but the high intensity headlamps on some cars really hurt my eyes, even when allegedly on dip beam.
Same here, the LED and HID are terrible for dazzle, they’re also so white or blue-white that you lose contrast, which is bad for night driving…what’s worse is the (illegal) conversion to LED or HID in headlamps that weren’t designed for them

Hi all, I had a brake light out on my fiat panda 2013 drivers side, so took the unit out to change the bulb on inspection the bulb looked fine, so tried a new one and still no luck taillights still work on that side just thee brake light is not and brake lights work on the passenger side and top. Any other ideas on what could cause it not to work TIA
So, on my 2013 TA 4x4 there are four rear light bulbs - all have twin filament 5/21W offset bayonet bulbs. However, only the lower bulbs work as brake lights. Are you checking the top bulbs and finding the brake light filament intact (but this one is not used)? Or is my car just weird?

Here's some photos to try and illustrate brakes applied;

1693514028365.png

And just nighttime (headlights)
1693514109448.png

Obviously I'm not including the 3rd brake light.

So, on my 2013 TA 4x4 there are four rear light bulbs - all have twin filament 5/21W offset bayonet bulbs. However, only the lower bulbs work as brake lights. Are you checking the top bulbs and finding the brake light filament intact (but this one is not used)? Or is my car just weird?

Here's some photos to try and illustrate brakes applied;

View attachment 429007
And just nighttime (headlights)
View attachment 429008
Obviously I'm not including the 3rd brake light.
Oddly, all the Pandas are like that - twin filament bulbs top and bottom but only the lower one used for the brake lights.

I speculated in an earlier thread here that this is because the bulb holder that's inside the red covers is identical on both sides, just flipped round 180 degrees... but have never actually tried to see if this is correct

Oddly, all the Pandas are like that - twin filament bulbs top and bottom but only the lower one used for the brake lights.

I speculated in an early thread here that this is because the bulb holder that's inside the red covers is identical on both sides, just flipped over 180 degrees... but have never actually tried to see if this is correct
Thanks @Herts Hillhopper that's reassuring. On the DRL thread that you've been contributing to too, I was suspecting the same was the case for those bulbs (twin filament but only one used). However! I kept my powder dry this time and it is indeed CanBus trickery (as you say) that must switch to the dim DRL with headlights on - I managed not to embarrass myself this time!

I know old age doesn't help ., but the high intensity headlamps on some cars really hurt my eyes, even when allegedly on dip beam.
Yes I find this too and have been forced to a halt on more than one occasion. They may be good for the few that have them but for others they are a menace and I feel should be banned.

The best way I have found to clean the alu bulb contacts that get pitted is using first the rubber on a pencil to get the large stuff off, and then the lead (actually graphite) on the pencil.
In relation to the multiplug that plugs into the cluster, unplug, and with power off and key out of ignition for at least 10-15 mins, spray an *elecrical contact cleaner into each hole and onto each pin. Shake out the excess and plug in and out 3-5 times. Then, power up.

There are thousands of electrical contact cleaners on the market all as good as each other - and not WD40 as all that does is remove water and oil which will lead to rusting.

Unless its a big German car with those super bright LED rear lamps and its in front of me at a traffic lights at night..... Pet hates, this one is off the scale. I assume the super bright lights are there to make up for the 100% dull drivers involved.

It is the person in front that do not know / care about the rules of the road. In Ireland / UK and most of Europe, to slow a car to stop, one applies the pedal brake, and once the car is at stop, a handbrake is applied. The car is 'never' supposed to be held on the brake. In Germany, VW changed this law to allow the brake lights to signify that the car is stopped, not in the process of stopping. US terminology refer to the handbrake as the parking brake which adds to the confusion. With the concept of 'automatic' brake lights i.e. in VWs when one applies brake, the handbrake applies automatically but the rear lihts stay on AND the concept of electric cars with 'regen. braking' where significant braking force can be applied using the electric motor without pressing the brake pedal and the brake lights showing.

I believe that the EU is currently working on something to address this, and the possible dangers involved in cars stopping without showing brake lights vs cars stopped with brake lights dazzeling following drivers as both are dangerous situations that need to be avoided.

It is the person in front that do not know / care about the rules of the road. In Ireland / UK and most of Europe, to slow a car to stop, one applies the pedal brake, and once the car is at stop, a handbrake is applied. The car is 'never' supposed to be held on the brake. In Germany, VW changed this law to allow the brake lights to signify that the car is stopped, not in the process of stopping. US terminology refer to the handbrake as the parking brake which adds to the confusion. With the concept of 'automatic' brake lights i.e. in VWs when one applies brake, the handbrake applies automatically but the rear lihts stay on AND the concept of electric cars with 'regen. braking' where significant braking force can be applied using the electric motor without pressing the brake pedal and the brake lights showing.

I believe that the EU is currently working on something to address this, and the possible dangers involved in cars stopping without showing brake lights vs cars stopped with brake lights dazzeling following drivers as both are dangerous situations that need to be avoided.
EVs absolutely need the brake lights to illuminate under regen braking (most EVs this happens automatically when deceleration exceeds a certain rate). The issue is that once the car stops under regen braking, it will automatically apply "hillhold" to stop it creeping and, like the VW situation, the brake lights stay on. To be fair to the driver, they may be unaware this is the case, having not actually pressed or kept their foot on the brake pedal during any of the stopping process. Manually engaging the parking brake thereafter does switch the brake lights off.

Back