brake fluid light on...

Currently reading:
brake fluid light on...

ROYSTER 79

hello all, my brake fluid light has started coming on a lot lately on my 04 fiat punto active. iv checked the brake fluid and its in between the min and max so seems ok so im confused as to what is making it come on, what should i check next? thanks in advance

If the brake fluid has been changed/topped up recently - was the basket removed from the reservoir beforehand?

If the basket wasn't removed, it can look like there is a more fluid in the system than there actually is.

If the brake fluid has been changed/topped up recently - was the basket removed from the reservoir beforehand?

If the basket wasn't removed, it can look like there is a more fluid in the system than there actually is.

If by basket you mean the filter that sits in the filler opening, then it should NOT be removed when topping up. It's there to catch any debris and stop it getting into the system. It should only be removed when emptying the reservoir by suction.
They do block up see
https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/98885-fiat-punto-brake-fluid-problem.html

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
If by basket you mean the filter that sits in the filler opening, then it should NOT be removed when topping up.

I don't think I said that, although reading back it could be implied that way.

thanks for the replies, my brakes feel fine and my car is only 1 month into its MOT. is it an expensive job to sort out if it is the brakes?

thats not too bad mate, ill have to get them checked out. wouldnt i notice if the brakes were on there way out tho

2 things put the handbrake light on

1 - The most common, the handbrakes on
Switch failing - Seriously dowt that at all...... Never heard of 1 failing

2 - The Brake fluid is low
Usually cause
A - recent brake work
B - Leak somewhere
C - Pads/shoes are worn out

My light started to flash even though - my brakes check out perfectly fine
I just pulled filter up to let what fluid in there drain out, put fresh fluid in via the filter ensuring it drains down

the filters are buggers for getting fluid stuck and causing the low fluid sensor to trip

----

Also on a Serious Note
Just because its been through an MOT, doesn't mean its okay
Far from it
Hell i've thrown cars into MOT with a Known failure point and they've passed.....

Remember this - they cant remove anything to check anything
So if they cant see if - they cant fail it

Seen brake pads been on metal, but because most wheels prevent a view of the pads and disc's - they cant fail what they cant see

Ziggy

I'm not familiar with the Punto specifically, but most systems have a float in the lid of the cylinder. Check that this is not taking in fluid and that it is free to move. Moving it up and down should make the light come on and off. If it is not that then check the wiring to the float, it could just be a loose wire or a cross threaded cap.

I'm not familiar with the Punto specifically, but most systems have a float in the lid of the cylinder. Check that this is not taking in fluid and that it is free to move. Moving it up and down should make the light come on and off. If it is not that then check the wiring to the float, it could just be a loose wire or a cross threaded cap.

No float in cap
No wiring to lid

The Sensors built into the tank - and hardley ever fails :)
Never seen a sensor fail

Ziggy

thank you all for the help! all i needed to do was top up the fluid, it hasnt come on once since so im happy

Back