Technical Brake bleeding not gone to plan...

Currently reading:
Technical Brake bleeding not gone to plan...

plasmahal

When I renewed the rear brake shoes recently, I noted how badly the rear brake cylinders were corroded around the end seals.

I got some replacement parts, 2 litres of brake fluid and then yesterday replaced the rear cylinders.

During bleeding I regularly checked and topped up the brake reservoir and at no point did it run dry, it actually went down slower than expected.

I have bled one side (rear right) and seemed to get a lot more air out than expected. So I did the left rear and after some air was removed it went as expected and the fluid looked fresh and air free for several pumps, I then did the front right (same circuit), no problems.

So I went back to the right rear and despite a lot of time bleeding, more and more air came out. I went to the front left and after an initial small amount of air the same happened there, more air came.

I have given up, as the more I bleed that circuit the more air and less fluid I get and I don't understand why...

I have done this job many times on several cars and not had any issues before.

Have I just introduced a problem or discovered an existing fault?

The car is a 2001 1.9 JTD ELX.

I am not certain but I do know you have to start with the wheel the most far away from the master-cylinder. So when you have a right hand drive. Start with left back. Than right back, left front and right front.
If you have a left hand drive: right back, left back, right front, left front.
Hope this helps

I got a gunson eezibleed kit from screwfix for £17 and used that with one of the rear wheels that had been removed.

This bit of kit worked like a dream, highly recommend to all who want to bleed brakes.

Back