Bmw e30

Currently reading:
Bmw e30

bludvl_x19

42 Wallaby Way Sydney
What do people think of these? Anyone on here had any experience with them?

I'm looking for a reliable older car (an oxymoron I know) that has a bit of style. I've seen these around, and I like the look of them tbh. Some good examples of them are available here for around $5000, roughly 200 thousand ks on the clock.

So, opinions people?

Crackin car but get a good example, most have been abused by now. Avoid the 320i as this isnt that more powerful than the 318i and has relatively the same economy as the 325i. Pick of the collectors bunch is either the 318is or 320is, if you can find examples to begin with (320is was italian market and a smaller engined M3)

Common problems are the same as the 5 series, the bushes will have perished by now and will need replacing all round. They dont rust except the jacking points and the electric connections (mainly the lights and horn) may intermittently not work due to corrosion.

Bit pricey. Can buy them here for about £500-£1000 for the 316-318's

But yes I like. Had the use of an estate one for a few days while my punto was getting fixed and I quite enjoyed it. Even though it was a 518 and was gutless it was a good laugh.

Cars here hold their value much longer (because it takes 30 years to rust instead of 10), that's actually quite a decent price for a good example of an E30.

My 2c is go for something with a jap engine, like an older celica. Parts are common and you aren't likely to need many as they're such reliable examples of an engine.

i like them, although i prefer my e36, the e30 i drove was aone a mate was considering buying, 29k miles on the clock with FBMWSH.

my mate told me if there's rust on the sills or arches walk away as it'll be rotting on the inside, but i rekon that's true of any car.

i actually really like the estate e30.

Crackin car but get a good example, most have been abused by now. Avoid the 320i as this isnt that more powerful than the 318i and has relatively the same economy as the 325i. Pick of the collectors bunch is either the 318is or 320is, if you can find examples to begin with (320is was italian market and a smaller engined M3)

I agree with the performance assessment, I drove the E30 320i my brother had and it was a nice free revving 6 but the performance was more like a 4 cylinder. He also said that the BA series Ford Falcon Wagon he has now gets much better fuel economy (for you people over in the UK, the Ford has a 4 litre 6 vs the 2L engine of the E30).

The car wasn't bad so he didn't have outlay much money in parts, but the engine was getting tired and noisy. He had planned to put a 325 engine in it (he had bought a second hand engine), but in the end he sold it instead.

Troy.

Back