Technical BMC CDA Vs. DIAS

Currently reading:
Technical BMC CDA Vs. DIAS

MagnaMorbius

Been having a look at Celtic Tuning & Angel Tuning, and they both offer the CDA and the DIAS - which is the better one to use? Yes, the CDA is made from carbon, but does that really make so much of a difference in performance...

In all honesty the DIA is the better value for money on smaller engined cars. Its a newish product and we have been fitting them and tuning the mapping to suit the additional airflow with very similar results to the CDA's. They are only suitable on engines up to 1.3, although bigger engines with better air ventilation to the engine bay can still use them, although the recommendation from BMC is up to 1.6

For example on a 1.2 16v Punto or Bravo we are currently offering supply and installtion of the DIA, with engine mapping not just for improvement in general, but optimised to utilise the additional airflow for £310 all inc, including travel to anywhere in the UK

Info on the DIA
http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/dia.htm

Info on the CDA
http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/bmc.htm

Nige, I'm loving the advertising plug!

So, pound for pound, the DIAS is more effective, correct? You said the DIAS is being tuned for "very similar results to the CDA" - does that mean that the CDA will give better performance (to be honest, if I'm going to be spending over 300 notes for an mod, and paying more for the insurance, I might as well spend a few extra quid to get the best deal)?

The other thing is that I saw on your website that you've got brakes and exhaust deals, as package prices - are they when you take one or more upgrade together? Or is it for the remap+brakes, or remap+exhaust, etc?

At half eleven at night? Damn, that's customer service...

I was just wondering about the catalogue details, is all. I'm unsure what to do first - get the more potent brakes (ie, the sensible option), or the remap and induction kit (the more fun, roary-sounding option...). I always said that, if I make an increase to the engine power (and, a remap and induction kit can deliver about a 20% increase, if what Celtic Tuning told me is right), I'll enhance the brakes to go with it - not really keen on spreading my car (called Binky, Dave, but named after Death's horse in Discworld, not your very cute rabbit) into a molecule thick paste over the rear-end of a lorry.

Nah, apart from it stalling randomly (even at high speed on the bypass), it's pretty bullet-proof. Should be OK having a bit of a rag about with it, although I do wish I had ABS on the car. Ah well...

Who wants to live forever?

*Looks sheepish* Erm, possibly. What's it look like? The one next to the handbrake, with ABS written in it? Nope, not got that on mine, just seen a picture in my manual... That would come on when the car's ignition is on, yeah? All I get is a handbrake and something that looks like a jetwasher in the bottom left corner...

Not really - my car is supposed to be dark metallic green (whatever Fiat want to call british racing green), but it's mainly salty white and muddy brown - not healthy, to be honest - needs a damn good washing, then maybe an autoglyning, or a waxing. Someone suggested a T-Cutting, but I've heard that isn't the healthiest thing for your car...

The DIA flows better than the CDA when applied correctly. I personally would go for the DIA but without the cold air feed on your car. To utilise the DIA fully you need to get the piping done properly. A hack off job would destroy a lot of the potential gains.

And definitively do not use the aluminium ducting between the engine and the filter and neither directly on the other side.

MagnaMorbius said:
Not really - my car is supposed to be dark metallic green (whatever Fiat want to call british racing green), but it's mainly salty white and muddy brown - not healthy, to be honest - needs a damn good washing, then maybe an autoglyning, or a waxing. Someone suggested a T-Cutting, but I've heard that isn't the healthiest thing for your car...
t-cut is for removing bad oxidation on paint, as yours is matalic you will have a clear coat, t-cut will wear that down, a good quality wash and a good wax should bring it back to life, you should get rid of the salt asap as that will also wear through the paint

MagnaMorbius said:
Nige, I'm loving the advertising plug!

So, pound for pound, the DIAS is more effective, correct? You said the DIAS is being tuned for "very similar results to the CDA" - does that mean that the CDA will give better performance (to be honest, if I'm going to be spending over 300 notes for an mod, and paying more for the insurance, I might as well spend a few extra quid to get the best deal)?

The other thing is that I saw on your website that you've got brakes and exhaust deals, as package prices - are they when you take one or more upgrade together? Or is it for the remap+brakes, or remap+exhaust, etc?

The CDA has given slightly better results on the 1.2 16v (0.4bhp), but not enough to warrant the extra cost in our opinion although the CDA looks better though! As a premier BMC distributor & fitting centre we fit 3-4 CDA's and DIA's per week so the technician fitting it will use the best routing and method proven through experience.

The package prices are indeed for remap + xxxxx, however, once you are a "tuned" customer, the package prices apply to whatever you purchase after that. So if you came back in 6 months time and wanted brakes, you pay the package price for them.

If you wanted a remap / CDA package, we are offering a 10% discount during February (not on the DIA package though)

Always email us as we often pick up messages throughout the evening and of course we are often on MSN late evening as [email protected] so if one of is on you can always chat to us.

So, if I've got the money, the CDA is better (and, more importantly, looked cooler), but for the incredibly minor power increase, I might as well save a handful of dollars and get the cheaper DIAS? Well, since my engine bay looks a bit pony (no engine cover, for a start), might as well try and spruce it up with a nice looking induction kit...

Besides, the way I've been driving recently, might need that extra .4 of a BHP...

Back