ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1398416583.386593.jpg

Punto (Mk2/2b) Blue Jay

Introduction

Well as some of you may already know I've got rid of my Abarth Supersport Nero. Now it was a hard decision but was the right decision for me in the long run.

So without further a due, I present to you Blue Jay :)

ImageUploadedByFIAT_Forum1398416583_386593.jpg

She's a 2004 1.2 Punto Active. Bit of a step down eh? Well basically I've almost completed buying my first house and unfortunately the car payments were near enough the same As my mortgage payments are going to be so thought its best to cut some of my outgoings down to size.

Blue Jay is mainly a stop gap car for me until I can save up some cash for another car. But when I do get another car I'll hand Blue Jay down to my other half once she's passed her test etc.

Blue Jay may be a little rough round the edges but with 47k on the clock she runs very well for a 10 year old car. Driving her seems to have put the smile back on my face which the Abarth never seemed to do. I do love little Italian cars :)
Welcome to the joys of Punto ownership...! Nice colour; and nice low mileage, too. :cool:

I know some people aren't fans -- but I do think that they're a lot more fun than people credit. :)

PS: Depending on service history, might be worth getting the timing belt, water pump, etc. changed... -- but you know that, anyway, don't you...?! :eek:

PPS: Good luck with the house purchase, too...! (y)

Last edited:
Welcome to the joys of Punto ownership...! Nice colour; and nice low mileage, too. :cool:

I know some people aren't fans -- but I do think that they're a lot more fun than people credit. :)

PS: Depending on service history, might be worth getting the timing belt, water pump, etc. changed... -- but you know that, anyway, don't you...?! :eek:

PPS: Good luck with the house purchase, too...! (y)

Cheers,

Yes it has 'Full service' history and appears it may have been stuck to though the aux belt looks to be a fiat branded one so unsure about the belt etc but its on the list to do.

Something funny I found with one of the previous owners was in the 2012 service it had 6 spark plugs! and another 6 last year!

I'll be giving it a full service myself anyway; Oil, Oil Filter, Plugs, Air Filter, Cam Belt, Aux Belt, Water pump, tensioner. Anything else I should do? I'm guessing the fuel filter has never been changed might do that while I'm at it.

Something funny I found with one of the previous owners was in the 2012 service it had 6 spark plugs! and another 6 last year!

Ooh: a V6 Punto...! :yum:

I'll be giving it a full service myself anyway; Oil, Oil Filter, Plugs, Air Filter, Cam Belt, Aux Belt, Water pump, tensioner. Anything else I should do? I'm guessing the fuel filter has never been changed might do that while I'm at it.

Fuel filter isn't a service item -- but that sounds pretty thorough to me. :worship:

Only thing worth watching out for is that there's been a trend for thermostats to fail -- usually cheap, white-box items -- and it's therefore worth keeping an eye on the temperature gauge, to make sure it sticks solid at halfway, once warm. I've even had problems with a FIAT-branded one: so my latest is from Gates. :eek:

Bleeding is also a pain, once you've replaced the water pump and coolant -- but come back and ask, when you get to that stage. Many of us have developed secret rituals to deal with what really is a black art.... :eek:

Only other thing that comes to mind is, at ten years old, checking the level and quality of the gearbox oil; and going over the suspension bits carefully -- although your first MOT should pick up anything obvious. And then underseal it as thoroughly as you can...! (y)

Might also be worth changing the leads when you change the plugs, too. Failing leads (and coil packs) can lead to ECU problems, I believe. :idea:

I think that's it... -- but I'm sure others (and this is an immensely helpful, and well-moderated section...) will be along, soon, with their recommendations...! :)

Last edited:
I know I think someone was taken for a ride.

Fuel filter isn't a service item -- but that sounds pretty thorough to me. :worship:
Hmm I cant seem to find one so assuming its not like the old Cinqs with it half way up the fuel lines under the car.

Only thing worth watching out for is that there's been a trend for thermostats to fail -- usually cheap, white-box items -- and it's therefore worth keeping an eye on the temperature gauge, to make sure it sticks solid at halfway, once warm. I've even had problems with a FIAT-branded one: so my latest is from Gates. :eek:
Yea my old Cinq's stat was stuck open, replaced it though, temp seems good and fan does kick in so I'm happy.

Bleeding is also a pain, once you've replaced the water pump and coolant -- but come back and ask, when you get to that stage. Many of us have developed secret rituals to deal with what really is a black art.... :eek:

haha, I'm well versed in this dark art. so far I find blu73's method the best :)

Might also be worth changing the leads when you change the plugs, too. Failing leads (and coil packs) can lead to ECU problems, I believe. :idea:

Aye, while looking for parts I added a new set to the basket :)

I like it :)

wish mine was that colour (silver sucks)

how much did a 47k/miles punto come in at if you don't mind me asking, can't be many with that lower mileage about anymore

I like it :)

wish mine was that colour (silver sucks)

how much did a 47k/miles punto come in at if you don't mind me asking, can't be many with that lower mileage about anymore

I paid £1200, saw two others on the day, one had Air Con and ABS but was dented scraped and all round sh*gged! But it only had 34k on the clock and was 'a steal' at £1500. The next one we saw wasnt much different. Then we saw this one and it was night and day difference.

Its still not the most pristine of cars but I think I got good value for money.

I had been looking round the car the other day and so far differences from my old Mk2a (apart from the normal 2a 2b differences) are: grey variant of the interior (2a was blue/light grey) and this one has speakers in the rear :eek:.

Only other thing that comes to mind is, at ten years old, checking the level and quality of the gearbox oil; and going over the suspension bits carefully -- although your first MOT should pick up anything obvious. And then underseal it as thoroughly as you can...! (y)

Might also be worth changing the leads when you change the plugs, too.

Might as well put a new stat in when you change the water pump et all whilst its drained down.

Does the secret black art involve shouting "CHRIST THAT WATER IS HOT!" whilst trying to refit hoses and close bleed screws :devil:

Gear Oil is easy to check see the GP guides section might as well drop it and change it whilst your at it for the sake of another £20

as for underseal dont forget the cavity wax you should know about my love of Bilt Hamber by now John :devil:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=236423

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=232865&highlight=dynax+ub

and how to get the best out of it after my first feck up

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=236894

Little update, had the front brake's changed disc and pads. One disc was warped and was doing my head in. Car does seem to stop a lot better now.

MOT is due soon so gonna try and book it in for tomorrow.

Also had a brake light go and was happy to find the nuts which hold the cluster on are the same size as the wheel nuts so managed to use the spare wheel kit (y)

Note to self, dont leave all of my tools at my dads :bang:

Little update, had the front brake's changed disc and pads. One disc was warped and was doing my head in. Car does seem to stop a lot better now.

MOT is due soon so gonna try and book it in for tomorrow.

Also had a brake light go and was happy to find the nuts which hold the cluster on are the same size as the wheel nuts so managed to use the spare wheel kit (y)

Note to self, dont leave all of my tools at my dads :bang:

the spare tool kit should have a screwdriver and a weird plastic lump with a 17mm socket on it
It allows you to use the screwdriver to get leverage to undo the nuts :)

Welcome to the 2b Family my friend :)

Ziggy

Just a little update, had a bit of a service at the weekend.

Oil,
Oil Filter,
Air Filter,
Spark Plugs,
Camblet,
Waterpump,
Thermostat,
Aux Belt,
Coolant.

The engine had developed an issue where if I was going above 40 the engine would never get up to temperature, it would always sit at around 1/4 on the dial rather than 1/2 way. Think the thermostat had become weak and was causing the issue.

New thermostat etc seems to have fixed it, also my MPG has gone back up above 50mpg indicated so must have been causing a drop (thought it was just winter personally :eek:).

Also noticed my Aux belt was rather perished and my waterpump was leaking coolant which wasnt good obv!

Still left to do is to replace my gear box oil and eventually replace my Sump, after looking at what I need to do to replace this I was put off at the weekend due to lack of time!

Little mini update. So Blue Jay has done all of 390 miles since October :eek:

Its become a learner car for my better half and will eventually become hers when she passes her test. Though this week my Panda went in for service so I had to use it to commute to work and must admit I have kinda fallen in love with it again.

Its not quick, its not flashy its not loaded with equiptment its just... basic and fun! The drive is great and I love having a larger fuel tank which I dont have to fill up as often.

Since I got the Panda back from its service I have only been using blue Jay.. :p

Last edited:
So a couple of weeks of driving the Punto and the 100hp has only done 500 or so miles (including a trip down to London for Brooklands :p).

Decided last week its about time it needed a service. So today I performed said service...

Oil
Oil Filter
Spark Plugs
HT Leads
Air Filter

Back