Punto 2012+ Blue and Me?

Currently reading:
Punto 2012+ Blue and Me?

Help please! My older boy has a 2012 Punto 1.4 8valve - the one after the Evo. For some time now the mileage indicator has been flashing and the battery goes flat if he doesn't use it daily. From what I've read on here it's the Blue and me module? He doesn't use it so couldn't care less as long as he car runs. They've just been away on their summer holidays and the car, which was left outside their house, won't start. "Grandad" (me) has just been up to get it going for them and I found the battery showed 7.2 volts when checked with my multimeter. Not enough to operate the central locking or even make the starter solenoid click! I've put the ctek on it to charge and we'll see what it's doing tomorrow by way of accepting and storing a charge. Hoping he'll be able to use it daily to go to his work.
I've read on our forum that the blue and me can be disconnected and then a Proxi alignment done to tell the car that the blue and me is missing. I do have MES so could do a proxi alignment but don't know how difficult it is to disconnect the blue and me module - don't even know where it is or what it looks like. Also i'm wary of doing a proxi alignment because I've read that it can all go horribly wrong and mess up the body control module. I've read that you should store the existing ecu settings before proceeding with a proxi alignment but I've no idea how to do that. Really all I want is to stop the blue and me draining the battery when the car is sitting - Blue and me functionality is not needed. Anyone "in the know" like to talk me through how to disconnect the module and then safely do the proxi alignment?

The blue and me module is above the glove box, just open the glovebox and look up.

If you want to know what you’re looking for (applies to any part) just search for it on eBay and someone will have a nice picture of one on their for sale ad for you to have a mental picture of what you’re looking for.

My recommendation is to just remove the multi plug for now. I think the module had one or two screws that hold it in and you have to take it out to get to the plug on the top.

What to do going forward, personally if he doesn’t care about any of the features and just wants the radio to work, it’s probably not worth going the route of changing the head unit for something modern, that said if you also don’t want to have to tackle the proxi alignment, the best advice would to see if you can just send the b&m module off to be fixed, lots of people doing it now and probably cheaper than buying a new radio

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26581389...486&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Picture of what you’re looking for and the price to have it repaired

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thanks very much for that Andy. I don't think he cares about any of the "features" including probably the radio. It's pretty much a car to get him to and from his work - half to three quarters of an hour each way - They use the Kia for family outings and only he drives the Punto. So, could I just unplug the Blue and Me module and call it a day at that? what will stop working if I did that? I presume the mileage would keep flashing but I don't think it's an MOT failure is it? Would that stop the battery drain?

In plugging it will probably stop the battery drain assuming that’s the issue, if I remember correctly the B&M had stopped working on this car a while back? So odd on that being the cause of the battery drain
Thanks Andy. In fact I've got a wee update for you.

As I've said above, I went over there around midmorning on Friday and found the battery was reading only 7.2 volts. The interesting thing about these modern electronic smart chargers seems to be that they are just not interested in charging if the battery voltage is very low. Both the Tronic (supermarket) and ctek just sat there doing their diagnostic "flashy light thing" but refusing to charge. I think, that they seem to think, that the battery is sulphated? so they just sit with their Diagnostic light blinking. However the ctec has a recond program - it's a ctec multi XS 7000. So I selected "Recond" and away it went. This would be at around midday on the Friday. I went home shortly after this and told my boy to keep monitoring it. He rang to say the green light went on at somewhere around 9 o'clock in the evening. So it probably was on charge for about 9 hours before the charger indicated it was fully charged. The XS7000 can put out around 7 amps when going full chat and the fact it took around 9 hours to charge up this 65 Ah battery is, I think, a good indication that there's probably "life in the old girl yet". Anyway I told him to disconnect the charger and not to use the car at all on Saturday and then give it a try on Sunday. I'm thinking that if it survives with enough to start it after over 24 hours then it's in with a shout? So early this afternoon - Sunday - the phone rings to say the car started fine this morning so he turned it off and went back into the house for about half an hour before coming back out and taking the car down to the local shops - 10 minute journey - to get soft rolls (an Edinburgh Sunday thing) and milk. It started well each time. So I think we are back to where we were before he went on his holidays, ie. as long as the car is run regularly I think the current drain overnight is being counteracted by the alternator charging the battery and the battery itself is by no means "done" yet, With his half to three quarter hour work journey I'm hoping he'll be able to just carry on as he is for the immediate future so we'll see how he gets on with disconnecting the B&M module as a backup possibility. Mind you £95 to repair it is not unattractive.

Edit. Ps. yes Andy, you're right, the B&M hasn't worked for quite a while on this car.

Well, you know what they say? If in doubt read the manual! It turns out that continuous flashing of the mode light on both chargers indicates that they have detected sulphation in the battery and are pulsing the battery before attempting a normal charge. If that works they both then go on to do a normal charge - didn't know the cheapie Tronic could do that, I'm impressed - So it might have been that if I'd left either of the chargers connected with their flashing mode lights they would eventually have charged the battery - you live and learn! The ctek's recond mode would seem to be a modified version of this function so has probably been of greater benefit to the battery. So, without realizing it, I've probably given it the best possible chance by initiating the recond mode. I now know not to just give up on it if the selected mode light pulses though, means it's doing it's best to reawaken the battery.

Another wee Ps. The Tronic maxes out at about 3.5 amps whereas the ctek can manage 7. He has to string a mains lead from the house to the kerbside so again, probably as well I used the ctek because at half the charge rate he'd have had to leave the Tronic hooked up overnight which would have been a considerable trip hazard for unwary pedestrians in the dark.

Last edited:
Hi guys, sorry to butt in here but I've a Citreon NEMO Enterprise 1.4 diesel 2014 van with the flashing milage thing and the fiat Bluetooth module under the driver's seat (completely forgot I had this as I've had the van since it was new but only ever used the radio) anyway I'm just back from a week's holiday and the battery has been drained (totally flat nothing electrical works not even the key fob) and the van won't start.

Tried a jump start but that didn't work either.

The battery was replaced last November and this morning it was reading 2.8volts so reading about it seems that the battery is now US/damaged so I'm going back to where I bought it last year as it has a five year warranty, no idea if they'll honour that so I might have to buy a new battery or will the existing battery take a charge?

Also I've unplugged the Bluetooth module but the odometer will likely still flash when I get the van sorted with a new battery/charge the existing one but I'm concerned that the (new) battery will drain too even with the Bluetooth module disconnected?

Also will the radio still work or would it be better to send the module away for a repair?

TIA

Tony

Hi guys, sorry to butt in here but I've a Citreon NEMO Enterprise 1.4 diesel 2014 van with the flashing milage thing and the fiat Bluetooth module under the driver's seat (completely forgot I had this as I've had the van since it was new but only ever used the radio) anyway I'm just back from a week's holiday and the battery has been drained (totally flat nothing electrical works not even the key fob) and the van won't start.

Tried a jump start but that didn't work either.

The battery was replaced last November and this morning it was reading 2.8volts so reading about it seems that the battery is now US/damaged so I'm going back to where I bought it last year as it has a five year warranty, no idea if they'll honour that so I might have to buy a new battery or will the existing battery take a charge?

Also I've unplugged the Bluetooth module but the odometer will likely still flash when I get the van sorted with a new battery/charge the existing one but I'm concerned that the (new) battery will drain too even with the Bluetooth module disconnected?

Also will the radio still work or would it be better to send the module away for a repair?

TIA

Tony
Hi Twotone, welcome to the "party". Sounds like you're in the same "boat" as my boy.

At 2.8 volts it's very likely the battery is toast. However, as it was new just under a year ago you might be able to wake it up especially if you've got a charger like my ctek which can do the "recond" thing. Probably not so likely if just allowed to charge up in the vehicle using the vehicle's alternator. If it was me I'd be putting it on my ctek, leaving it for a day or so and seeing what happens.

You should be able to jump start it but with a very flat battery in the vehicle this can present problems because it's going to be trying to "rob" a lot of the energy from the good battery even before you turn the van's key. You need a really good battery in the donor vehicle and a good heavy duty set of jump leads - cheap jump leads often don't have the capacity to pass enough current in situations like this. Last of all the connections need to be first class so give the crocodile clamps a really good wiggle to ensure good connections. I like to connect the negative jump lead to the engine block, or other suitable earth on both vehicles so that any battery monitor, usually on the negative battery clamp, is included in the circuit but getting a good electrical connection can be problematic due to corrosion etc so give them a very good wiggle too. Of course doing it this way means you're relying on a good earth connection from the batteries to the chassis too. In my experience, as long as you're jumping from a really healthy donor battery, most jump starts fail because one of the jump lead connections is poor and giving high resistance.

If you're jumping from another vehicle - which is not particularly to be recommended these days due to the possibility of damage to electronic components - it's wise to let the vehicles stand, with the jump leads connected, for a few minutes, maybe five minutes? before attempting to start the car with the flat battery. This allows the flat battery to take on a bit of a surface charge to it's plates which both helps when you do finally turn that key but also reduces the difference in battery voltage between the vehicles. It's this difference in voltage which gives the problems. Also, if you're successful in getting a start, don't just immediately disconnect the jump leads but let both cars run for a while, again 5 minutes is not unreasonable. This allows the flat battery to become partially charged which means that when you disconnect the jump leads there isn't a large voltage drop seen by the controlling ecus in either vehicle and so a dangerous voltage spike is far less likely.

If you do manage to get her started then, after she's up and running and the leads are disconnected, stick your voltmeter/multimeter on the battery terminals and see what the voltage is. Even at idle she should be showing a healthy charge but if in doubt raise the revs to about 2,000 just to be sure. Voltage should be somewhere around 13.5 to 14.5 if the charging system is working satisfactorily.

As to what to do about the module? Up to you I suppose? With the module disconnected it shouldn't drain the battery? unless something else is wrong too. With the module still connected it's likely to behave like an interior light or radio left on all the time. My boy's Punto seems to cope with this as long as it doesn't stand for more than about two days and the alternator seems to keep the battery well enough charged with his three quarter hour journey to work and then back home most days. His wife is now working full time from home and they have a newer car too (Kia Rio) which is depressingly reliable, so he is thinking they don't now really need two cars. He's thinking, because the Punto is not now worth very much, he'll probably run it until something expensive goes wrong with it and then maybe sell it as a non runner/scrap or whatever. I might actually buy it off him and fix it up myself because I like doing that sort of thing. At around £95 to get the B&M repaired I could end up with a car that's worth selling on?

Thanks Jock, I was jumping from my wife’s brand new Panda 4x4 but not a dicky bird from the van.

I’ve decent jump leads as I had a problem before when the old battery, which was about 9 years old, chucked it but then I got the van started with the new battery.

I’ve just been off the phone to the car spare’s place they told me to take the battery in for them to test it but frankly I’m not holding out much hope on a free replacement but they have another battery in stock so I’ll likely just have to bite the bullet if I need to buy another battery.

Btw the odometer flashing thing started about a month ago. I did contact my usual garage guy but he said he’d never heard of it before and would need to read up on it and have the van for a few days that was about two weeks ago but I never had any problems getting it started so thought I’d leave it until after I came back from holiday to do something about it.

Thanks

Tony

Last edited:
Hi guys, a quick update.

The car spares place replaced the battery FOC but they said the van needs coded for the new battery however there's no start and stop but the car manual makes reference to using the main dealer or an approved workshop to replace the battery but no reference to re-coding the ECU anyway I refitted the battery and the car works albeit no radio (I unplugged the blue and me module yesterday) but the flashing odometer remains so presumably the odometer will need to be recoded and or I can replace the B&M module or have the B&M module repaired, so does that negate the need to recode the van's ECU for the B&M?

My usual garage is closed, presumably for holidays, so I can't ask them to do the recodings at the minute but I asked at a garage around the corner and the guy there said it's best to take the van to the main dealer and let them do the coding thing, he said they don't have the equipment to do it.

BTW could I do it myself, I'm presuming you just need a laptop, an interface plus the software?

The car spares place said it's possible that the battery was killed because the car/van is looking for the original battery but I'm not so sure about that but then again I'm no expert, sounded like they were covering themselves in the event the battery dies again.

Thanks

Tony

Hi guys, a quick update.

The car spares place replaced the battery FOC but they said the van needs coded for the new battery however there's no start and stop but the car manual makes reference to using the main dealer or an approved workshop to replace the battery but no reference to re-coding the ECU anyway I refitted the battery and the car works albeit no radio (I unplugged the blue and me module yesterday) but the flashing odometer remains so presumably the odometer will need to be recoded and or I can replace the B&M module or have the B&M module repaired, so does that negate the need to recode the van's ECU for the B&M?

My usual garage is closed, presumably for holidays, so I can't ask them to do the recodings at the minute but I asked at a garage around the corner and the guy there said it's best to take the van to the main dealer and let them do the coding thing, he said they don't have the equipment to do it.

BTW could I do it myself, I'm presuming you just need a laptop, an interface plus the software?

The car spares place said it's possible that the battery was killed because the car/van is looking for the original battery but I'm not so sure about that but then again I'm no expert, sounded like they were covering themselves in the event the battery dies again.

Thanks

Tony
Think you've been lucky with them replacing the battery, sounds like they're probably good people who want to keep a customer happy.

Most cars built within the last few years - and some older ones - require the battery to be coded to the vehicle. this is particularly likely if it's a stop start (in which case the battery needs to be and enhanced flooded or glass matt, standard flooded batteries fail quickly when used with stop start) My 2016 Ibiza, with stop start, definitely needed to be coded when it's new battery was fitted. VAG group try to tie you into the main dealer network by saying you can only fit a genuine VAG battery because you need the BEM code to encode it and the BEM code is oart of the VAG label on the battery - after market batteries don't have this BEM code on their labels. All a bit of a scam I think and I've come across some you tube stuff which shows you how to get round it - doesn't look simple though? If the battery requires coding and you don't do it then the charging electronics treat the new battery as if it's worn out and can damage it. My local CAG indy tells me the new battery can stop working in as little as a year if you don't do the coding. So DIY? probably, but to do the Ibiza I would need VCDS - which I have - and the knowledge as to how to actually use it to do the deed - which I don't. Don't know about yours. The main dealer would obviously be the no risk option but at a considerable price? If your van doesn't have stop start I'd just give a ring to the dealer first to find out for sure whether it does need to be coded.

Good luck and best wishes
Jock

I think you are confusing two things. The flashing odometer is a warning that the 'pre start' sequence has failed. Something in the system is not passing the test. Off course, this could be the Blue & Me module. Frequently, a non standard radio causes the problem because it doesn't feed the Blue & Me module.

So unplugging the Blue & Me module will cause the odometer to flash but that doesn't mean the Blue & Me module is faulty.

The current drain is the thing to fix. A bad relay could cause the drain which leads to one of the modules (including the Blue & Me) to have insufficient current to pass the 'pre start' test

This thread is rapidly going way off topic for Jocks Original request for information.

Common fault with Blue & Me is the module fails. the symptoms of which are Blue & Me stops working, the Odometer screen starts flashing, the car experiences battery drain.

As @Twotone2 is Talking about a Citroen Van with Blue & Me I can only assume its todo with the Fiat Qubo being a common van rebadged to other manufacturers.

Fiats generally do not need the battery to be coded to the car even with Stop - Start. well I don't know if the most resent cars do, but certainly any car old enough to have Blue & Me does not need battery coding.

You've got a new battery, same issues remain as they do for Jock who started the thread, Replace the whole radio unit, or get the current blue & me Module repaired. If you get rid of blue and me then the car needs a "proxi - Alignment" to tell the computers of the car that the blue & me is no long present, or rather to tell the car what is present and what to expect a response from, this is why the dash flashes because the Can Network is not happy about something being missing from the CanBus network.

Think you've been lucky with them replacing the battery, sounds like they're probably good people who want to keep a customer happy.

Most cars built within the last few years - and some older ones - require the battery to be coded to the vehicle. this is particularly likely if it's a stop start (in which case the battery needs to be and enhanced flooded or glass matt, standard flooded batteries fail quickly when used with stop start) My 2016 Ibiza, with stop start, definitely needed to be coded when it's new battery was fitted. VAG group try to tie you into the main dealer network by saying you can only fit a genuine VAG battery because you need the BEM code to encode it and the BEM code is oart of the VAG label on the battery - after market batteries don't have this BEM code on their labels. All a bit of a scam I think and I've come across some you tube stuff which shows you how to get round it - doesn't look simple though? If the battery requires coding and you don't do it then the charging electronics treat the new battery as if it's worn out and can damage it. My local CAG indy tells me the new battery can stop working in as little as a year if you don't do the coding. So DIY? probably, but to do the Ibiza I would need VCDS - which I have - and the knowledge as to how to actually use it to do the deed - which I don't. Don't know about yours. The main dealer would obviously be the no risk option but at a considerable price? If your van doesn't have stop start I'd just give a ring to the dealer first to find out for sure whether it does need to be coded.

Good luck and best wishes
Jock

Thanks guys, apologies again for going off topic so I'll be quick.

I'm going to strip the B&M module out of the van and sent it away to get it repaired and take it from there I'll also call Citreon Glasgow and ask about the battery coding.

BTW Jock, the guys in the spares place said exactly what you posted above about the battery dying within a year, in fact my (new) battery only lasted 8 months.

Kind regards

Tony

Last edited:
Just a quick update guys so apologies in advance but this might help someone.

I sent the B&M module to Revtronic the cost was £95 including return postage, turnaround time was one day (sent on Tuesday received this morning fitted back into the van in seconds) the odometer is no longer flashing, the bluetooth thing is working (connected my iPhone up to it which was really simple) along with the USB port led which I've literally never noticed before despite having the van since new back in 2014.

Tony

Back