blown the subwoofer (idiot) but would i have done anymore damage?

Currently reading:
blown the subwoofer (idiot) but would i have done anymore damage?

Orgazmo

well since the weather was nice, windows and sunroof were open, 20 minute drive, decided to whack up the bass on some good ol' whitechapel

turned it up more and more, as i didnt think it was that loud (as the windows and sunroof were decieving me) and then nothing, the sub cut out, and started to make a rattle noise instead of producing bass

when i got to where i was going, i unscrewed the case and it smelt of burning, i then turned the bass on again to determine where the rattle was, and it was definitely the speaker of the subwoofer,

the subwoofer is an mtx audio roadthunder 12" which is active enclosed subwoofer, the max watt is 450w (even though my cd player produces 4x50w :S so how it blew i dont know)

could i simply unplug the speaker, and fit a different speaker of a different brand, and use the same amplifier?

all help is appreciated

by the way, the front speakers work fine just as beforee

Last edited:
Whitechapel lol you nutter, i blow a sub playing all shall perish with there immense blastbeats lol.

But yeah you can get other subwoofer & stick it in. The sub youve got has an inbuilt amp which would be alot more than 50watts probs around 200watts, did you buy it new? if so is it under warrenty?

You cant send a blown sub back on warranty its been clipped the hell out of and burnt the coils out.
The HU has nothing to do with the power that the subs amp is giving it so i dont know why you are saying your hu is 4x50 that is irrelivant.

Just put it down to experience and set the gain properly next time. I think that you were just expecting too much from it. I often see people try to set the gain higher because they cant hear the sub flapping about from in the car. This is very wrong. If you can hear any distortion or flapping whilst your head is in the boot then you are pushing the sub too hard.
Its a simple idea but trust me i have blown a few subs when i was younger for the above reason. This is why im so adamant that spending 50p on an install is false economy as you wont be happy with the sound that is actually playing music not distortion.

tis my first sub and i admit, i know nothing of in car audio, so basically it wasnt the watts being sent from the head unit, it was how high i set the gain? i think thats right

so can i simply buy a kenwood sub and attach it to the inbuilt amplifier and it will be fine?

i bought it off ebay for like 25% of the retail price, it came with no warranty as such. people could say thats why it went wrong as it was cheap, but come on, i bought a £200 sub for £45, couldnt really go wrong as even if it did break, i could just keep the casing

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
nice, and will be replacing the amp at some point later on, cheers for all the help

:bang: Why do people who drive little punto's have this fascination with POWER!!!!!!!!

Its a tiny hatchback, subs and amps with minimal power output, when set up correctly, matched nicely, in a proper enclosure, accompanied by a decent set of comps up front and some proper deadening, can sound a million times better than a 1500w sub......

There was a guy at stanford hall last year in a sei, he had a tiny 10" sub in a little ported box, some very clear sounding comps up front and main panel had been deadened. It wasn't the loadest system ever but it was clear, sharp, punchy and more than loud enough.

Don't worry TOO much about power ouotputs, worry more about quality of both the items you are buying and the way they are fitted (y)

well im going to be fitting it into the same box as the mtx, obviously with some modifications to make it fit nicely. my comps upfront are alpines, i do need a new headunit but that can wait till i have enough to buy a good one,

:bang: Why do people who drive little punto's have this fascination with POWER!!!!!!!!

Its a tiny hatchback, subs and amps with minimal power output, when set up correctly, matched nicely, in a proper enclosure, accompanied by a decent set of comps up front and some proper deadening, can sound a million times better than a 1500w sub......

There was a guy at stanford hall last year in a sei, he had a tiny 10" sub in a little ported box, some very clear sounding comps up front and main panel had been deadened. It wasn't the loadest system ever but it was clear, sharp, punchy and more than loud enough.

Don't worry TOO much about power ouotputs, worry more about quality of both the items you are buying and the way they are fitted (y)

(y)(y)
I had a pug 106 a long time ago and all i havd in the boot of that was 2x 10inch mtx thunder subs and 2x mono block mtx thunder amps and that was the best sound ever!! everyone loved the bass from them. Just goes to show you dont need to use big subs to achieve a quality sound!!

Last edited:
If your a bass head then nice sounding go's out the window (within reason). power is obviously an issue but not the be all and end all of an install.
I am going to be using 600w RMS of low end sub bass and aiming hitting around 135db and bass wise thats not loud enough for me. Im just hoping that 700w of mid bass and 300w of kick bass is going to keep me happy :confused:

Back