Technical Blowing out oil

Currently reading:
Technical Blowing out oil

richardelland

My engine keeps burping oil through the breather / fire trap.
1994 Ducato 2.5TD on a Hymer motorhome. 8140.27 Engine with 140k kms on the clock.
Every now and again I lose half a litre or more of oil through the breather pipe which used to go to the front cross member, but I have now diverted to a catch can so that I dont end up with oil all under and down the side of my van. Generally the breather smokes a little on tick over but with no significant pressure. On revving this doesnt change much but occasionally there are fine oil droplets.
On 5 or 6 occasions now it has burped! It is almost as though the oil is syphoned off rather than blown out.
I have checked for excessive engine bay pressure - there is nothing from the dipstick - no pressure there, and the oil filler cap sits jiggling on top of the filler hole even when revved up.
I have wondered if its because the oil had been changed recently on a couple of occasions, with the garage filling by the specified amout leaving the fill level on max or over, but the last time this burp occurred was after I had run for maybe 500 miles on half way between min and max.
I am guessing its a blow-by problem but not sure what to ask to be checked next. I have lost some faith in my local garage for other reasons.
Thanks in anticipation of any suggestions.

hi Richard. may I ask what oil did the garage put in on last oil change. also as far as I recall the pipe that goes to the front cross member is the air intake which goes to the air filter, and have you checked air filter as if oil is is coming from air intake pipe the filter will be soaking in oil and will be reducing air intake considerably if not completely. I to have a 2.5 tdi 1996 and the air intake on mine is as described

Last edited:
Thanks jontee61. The issue has been happeneing over several oil changes. The breather goes to the lower cross member so there is no oil in the air filter. Its an 88-94 vintage engine from before the 1994 change.

Thanks corcai. Its an 88-94 vintage engine. The breather does have a separator which goes to the sump. Its going through that and out into my catch can and all over the bottom of my van. I have cleaned the separator gauze several times.

Thanks corcai. Its an 88-94 vintage engine. The breather does have a separator which goes to the sump. Its going through that and out into my catch can and all over the bottom of my van. I have cleaned the separator gauze several times.

Is there a smell of diesel from the oil?

Back