General Blaupunkt CD Changer woes

Currently reading:
General Blaupunkt CD Changer woes

sHAYM4N

Hey all, was fitting a new air filter and bulbs today so thought I'd do my best to get that bloody CD changer working, but still no joy :(

The thing lights up, accepts and ejects the CD's, but pressing source just displays NOCD (if nothing is in the headunit).

Tried disconnecting both that and the headunit and the battery for a few minutes to try and force a code. Still no joy, no code request for either when I reconnected everything.

The connection for the cd changer also seems a bit strange - it splits into a long 3.5mm jack at the back - and connects to nothing, then also into the block connector that passes through the harness to the headunit. Not sure if this is the norm? Any other way to force a code? Leave the battery disconnected overnight? I don't have a code but have taken photos of the serial numbers to try and get one (if I do get that far).

Failing that not sure whats best to do? Could get another headunit but pointless having that space in the dash for basically a CD holder - anyone done anything fancy there any other gadget for those bays I can throw in that could be useful? Also will the steering controls still work with any after market stereos out there, or a complete nogo?

Thanks for any help!

I'm assuming this is the Blaupunkt 5-disc changer, IDC A-09. I've had one of these for years, and they are a little short-lived, but still repairable. Your symptoms are typical of the unit failure, not a head unit or connection issue.
Talk these guys:http://www.mapleaudio.co.uk/
They repaired mine a couple of years ago, still working fine, so far.

Cheers Bill! Yeah think I spotted your post when I was looking around, glad to hear it's still working! Is it a pricey fix, or you think it would be cheaper to get another off eBay? One going with a starting bid atm for £25, though think most go for around £50+?

The bad news is it could be £100 or so to fix, can't remember exactly. I picked up a 'new' old stock one, and that didn't work properly, so got the original repaired instead. Talk to Maple Audio. I think they will investigate and then quote before spending your money.

Any used one may be close to failure, so my advice would be get your known one repaired. These things can be coded, so if you get a used one, ensure either code set to 'No', or it comes with the code card. They come default to 'No, meaning that they work without a code being entered, but from the head unit you have the option to activate it.

Another thought, the Fiat ones had slightly different software programmed. Mine are Blaupunkt retail, as bought a long time ago as an aftermarket fit. So not sure how a retail one will perform with the Fiat head unit. There are other threads on here somewhere about that. A used 'fiat' unit will of course work for you, as long as it is still operating.

The changer mechanism is moved on three stems, and with wear they get out of sync. This is the usual issue, and if the carrier is not properly horizontal, it gets indigestion and refuses to work. The message about can't read disc is not necessarily the actual fault.

The bad news is it could be £100 or so to fix, can't remember exactly. I picked up a 'new' old stock one, and that didn't work properly, so got the original repaired instead. Talk to Maple Audio. I think they will investigate and then quote before spending your money.

Any used one may be close to failure, so my advice would be get your known one repaired. These things can be coded, so if you get a used one, ensure either code set to 'No', or it comes with the code card. They come default to 'No, meaning that they work without a code being entered, but from the head unit you have the option to activate it.

Another thought, the Fiat ones had slightly different software programmed. Mine are Blaupunkt retail, as bought a long time ago as an aftermarket fit. So not sure how a retail one will perform with the Fiat head unit. There are other threads on here somewhere about that. A used 'fiat' unit will of course work for you, as long as it is still operating.

The changer mechanism is moved on three stems, and with wear they get out of sync. This is the usual issue, and if the carrier is not properly horizontal, it gets indigestion and refuses to work. The message about can't read disc is not necessarily the actual fault.

Thanks for that! Probably a bit much to justify at the moment. Have just taken the top lid off to try and see what the issue is, but cant get into it fully atm as one of the star screws is rounded off, the stalks look aligned, but maybe not 100% Shouldn't changer still come up as an option though, because I cant help think the NOCD is only related to headunit, it just toggles between tuner and the headunit CD :(

Does anyone know if the steering wheel controls do work with other brand stereos? That's my main reason for not replacing, and having no use for the lower din. I'd even take (and have been looking) for a gadget there as a satnav holder or even a tray that had cup holders :D (Seeing as my HGT doesn't have a single one!)

Have seen the single din pumpkin android stereos/satnavs that look pretty nifty but not sure if there would be enough top clearance in the lower din, and guess wherever I put it would still have a useless empty tray, as I presume I wouldn't be able to have audio output for two devices.

There are some adaptors to make steering wheel controls work with other stereos, but needs a lot of homework to make sure. Have a look at Autoleads:http://www.autoleads.co.uk/
or Connects2: http://www.connects2.co.uk/

The usual failure of the CD changer is wear, causing misalignment of the CD carriage. You will not be able to see this, it needs very precise measuring.
If this fails, the head unit will not see the changer, as the changer just plays dead.

Back