DSCN0838p.jpg

Punto (Mk2/2b) Black Punto Sporting On 17's....

Introduction

Sun came out the other day so thought I'd take some pics of my 52reg Punto Sporting.

Really does need lowering, but how much? I was thinking 35mm??

Eventually could do with a rear disc conversion aswell.

What do you think?
Lowered on 17s may be a bit much for the diff and gearbox if you like to launch off the lights...they aren't very strong in 1.2 puntos so i'd advise you to take it easy if you do lower it, Looking good tho like the 2b rear lights.

It's a Speedgear, 7 speed tiptronic.

How would lowering it on 17's damage clutch and diff (obviously no clutch in my case)? The diameter is only slightly bigger, I've not noticed any difference to fuel consuption or pick up speed. So didn't think it was under any strain?? Cheers.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly as to how the lowering affects the gearbox and diff the bigger wheels are fairly obvious with the increase in rolling diameter and tire width, someone with a more technical mind can explain the lowering cos to be honest I don't know. But i'd advise you to read recent posts by moderator dave whose speedgear has just suffered total drive loss after being on larger diameter rims for some time, should give you an idea as to the expsense involved to putting a speedgear right.

But if there was a significant increase in lag down to tyre width, surely I would have noticed a drop in mpg? I do 200 miles a week in it and on 15's I worked it out as 38.6 mpg over a week and on 17's I got 39.3mpg (virtually same mileage, same journeys)

Heard about Daves Speedgear, good idea putting a 1.4 16v in, as long as gearbox can handle it. But have they put the fault with the gearbox down to, 17's and lowering or could it just happen to a standard Speedgear?

Last edited:
some gearboxes just die randomly, others by abuse.... TBH i dont think that the bigger wheels contributed that much to the failure.... lots of people have 17s on puntos.
personally i think that they look a little too big, but thats just my opinion:)

Yeh I know what you mean Munkul, they do look a little big don't they. Bought some 35mm Gmax Springs and think they might improve the look, as the wheels will fill the arches more. But I've still got my original Sporting wheels so they might be going back on sometime in the future. Just fancied a bit of a change with the 17's, was more worried about it looking a bit chav than the size of them to be honest, but I don't think it does!

personaly i think 17s are to big on a punto, but i like low and subtle, why not get some abarth wheels??? think there 15-16's??? or have the sporting wheels sprayed black or antracite with abarth center caps, i think that always looks nice on puntos.

Yeh I have thought about antracite with red abarth centres for my sporting wheels, think i'd want to lower it more than 35 mm if I did that though. Gona get my 35mm springs fitted next week and see what it looks like, might still go for a set of Stilo claws or blades eventually. In fact anyone want to swap a set of Wolfrace Katanas and a set of Sporting alloys for either of the above!! hah:D

Back