General Black Paint

Currently reading:
General Black Paint

Bigvtwin996

Established member
Well why ask here....
Because it's full of oldies who will know what I am on about (hopefully)

before everything was plastic/polyester coated mass produced tins and cabinet and cheap stuff mae of metal was painted with a very thin Black Paint..
Clearly the iea was "Cheap", no primer was used and this paint was remarkably thin and glossy and smooth....
(Similar type coatig were used for metal tool boxes (often metalic blue)...
also tobacco tins!!
or like his
1702907955185.jpeg

In this day an age we still just about have Celulose, but mostly acrylic paints....

problem is most modern paints require a primer (lets exclue gloopy hamerite types)

I need to recreate that very thin black coating, off the shelf gloss paints are far to "glossy" and far too thick...

Suggestions please

(it has been suggested that it is more a process than the paint, and hat possibly very thin cellulose was used but sprayed ono heated items)

Last edited:
yep it has to be really thin..
may give a model makers airbrush a go as they have t paint very finely...
Any model makers here?

Rustoleum Combi-Color original fits the requirements.....it's very good.

I do like Rustolium paints...
being a tight git i used to thin them wih white spirits...

looks like some experimentation.....

yep it has to be really thin..
may give a model makers airbrush a go as they have t paint very finely...
Any model makers here?
Yes, but not done in a very long time…
As others have said, thinning paint should have the desired effect but not too thin that you have to build up coats as that rather defeats the object

When I wanted an authentic finish on chassis and bulkhead parts for a pre-war car I worked out that they used the cheapest of cheap, bituminous paint that is used on cast-iron gutters and for corrugated steel roofs.

in his case I need that ultra thin paint they used on metal boxes etc... almost like shiney ink
I don't think there was more tha one coat.....
even a single coat of rattle can glas is yoo thick

Back