General Bit of advice, is it normal?

Currently reading:
General Bit of advice, is it normal?

loislane1987

Help people! there is a rattle which comes from my steering colum when i turn the steering slightly either way, is this anything to worry about? the steering is not affected in anyway, no lights are on, it drives fine but just wondering thanks for any help

Hi,

The electric steering on the Mk2 onwards punto (assuming thats what you have) does make a sort of rattle/sparking (hard to explain) noise when the wheel is turned with the ignition on. This is normal. HOWEVER, if the noise is excessively loud or it makes it with the ignition off etc OR you have a mk1 punto, then no it is not normal.

If you have a mk2 romove the fusebox cover by your right knee. You will see a big metal cilinder sticking out horisontally from the steering column. With the ignition on, turn your steering wheel with your ear near to the motor. If this is the noise you are refering to, then it is perfectly normal.

Hope that helps,
Alan

Hi,

The electric steering on the Mk2 onwards punto (assuming thats what you have) does make a sort of rattle/sparking (hard to explain) noise when the wheel is turned with the ignition on. This is normal. HOWEVER, if the noise is excessively loud or it makes it with the ignition off etc OR you have a mk1 punto, then no it is not normal.

If you have a mk2 romove the fusebox cover by your right knee. You will see a big metal cilinder sticking out horisontally from the steering column. With the ignition on, turn your steering wheel with your ear near to the motor. If this is the noise you are refering to, then it is perfectly normal.

Hope that helps,
Alan

cheers alan i will give that a go :)

Back