Bit of a strange one...

Currently reading:
Bit of a strange one...

C

Carroll

Sis-in-Law's newly aquired 80SX Brava, (One owner, 2000 'X', 36K) is proving to be a nice, tight-feeling, tidy motor so far - but one thing I've noticed about it had me wondering...

The car throws out a normal amount of condensation from it's exhaust when cold, but then that dos'nt disapear in the normal way when the engine has warmed-up, (I follwed it for 12 miles yesterday, that's how it got noticed)

Fearing something maybe nasty being amiss,(headgasket most likely) over 2 days, the Coolant level was checked, (fine, not using any) Oil filler cap checked, (again, fine, only a normal-enough tiny amount of yellow gunge, consistant with short journeys in the cold weather) Heater works fine and the car Warms-up quickly and settles at Normal midway, well within 2 miles of travel, at least according to the temp. guage

In short, it drives very well/sounds fine and I can't find anything wrong with it - but that constant condensation trail is nagging me

- anyone's 1200 Brava/o on here do the same?

I always thought this was a result of having a life of short journeys and gentle driving.
Its possible the only concern will be her exhaust quickly rotting from the inside (most do this anyway).

i just thought its when the weather is cold you can see the warm gases coming out or warm moisture, because in the summer you cant see it.

Kris

Thanks for the replys.
Other cars's condensation trails were the same when their engines were cold, but the difference I noticed was that they cleared as soon as they'd warmed-up...

Think Marko maybe right - too many gentle, low-rev short journeys.
Probably just needs a good old 'Italian tune-up' LOL - Maybe I'll oblige it next time.

"Probably just needs a good old 'Italian tune-up' LOL"

Thats what I keep telling Kate - The red line is a target & there to tell you when to change gear!!

Only prob is now she drives an auto & on tune-up day you have to hold on tight!!! :)

style5,TommyK.png

plate-2.jpg