Technical Big end bearings

Currently reading:
Technical Big end bearings

Jimboro

I have a 1999 A class Moho which is in for timing belt and MOT. The garage rang and said it has a big end knock. So does anyone know how much to change the bearing shells and may as well do main bearings too. I've been googling and it can be done with engine in situ. I could have done it myself a few years ago but too old now. I've sourced the bearing shells and surprisingly cheap. It's just labour. The other worry is I'm booked to go to Europe in a couple of weeks. Do you think I could Risk driving it across Europe until I can find a garage there? If I can't get it done in UK. 2.8 JTD

Assuming the diagnosis is correct, whilst it may be possible to change the big end shells in situ, I doubt given the design of engine that mains could be done.
Also unless caught very early I would expect the crankshaft would need to come out for a grind and oversize bearings, involving a total overhaul.
Personally I wouldn't take a vehicle with a suspect serious engine fault any further than to a workshop and certainly not on a European trip.
I say this after rebuilding in the past several Sofim 2.8 and 2.5 engines in Iveco Dailys and also a 1998 Ducato Maxi van with same engine.:(

I have a 1999 A class Moho which is in for timing belt and MOT. The garage rang and said it has a big end knock. So does anyone know how much to change the bearing shells and may as well do main bearings too. I've been googling and it can be done with engine in situ. I could have done it myself a few years ago but too old now. I've sourced the bearing shells and surprisingly cheap. It's just labour. The other worry is I'm booked to go to Europe in a couple of weeks. Do you think I could Risk driving it across Europe until I can find a garage there? If I can't get it done in UK. 2.8 JTD
It may only be a technicality, but the 2.8jtd was introduced in 2000, as a developement of the 2.8idTD. I can see that it should be possible to change the big end bearing shells with the crankshaft in situ, but the main bearings would seem more of a problem. In either scenario what happens if the crankshaft should need regrinding, or is that no longer an option.
I would be reluctant to depart on a long journey with defective bearings, as wear will probably accelerate.

As has already been answered big end shells in situe most likely yes main shells no.

How much would it cost? Ask the garage that informed you about the big end knock, which is normally more of a deep toned tapping noise in my opinion.

If you ask them to renew the shells post pictures of the old shells - we will enjoy assessing them for you.

If the big end shells not terrible mains likely ok.
Have you missed out a few yearly oil changes?
How many miles on vehicle?
Questions because the 2.8 sofim engine is usually very durable.

Jack

Assuming the diagnosis is correct, whilst it may be possible to change the big end shells in situ, I doubt given the design of engine that mains could be done.
Also unless caught very early I would expect the crankshaft would need to come out for a grind and oversize bearings, involving a total overhaul.
Personally I wouldn't take a vehicle with a suspect serious engine fault any further than to a workshop and certainly not on a European trip.
I say this after rebuilding in the past several Sofim 2.8 and 2.5 engines in Iveco Dailys and also a 1998 Ducato Maxi van with same engine.:(
Yes I understand it's a risk to travel. The garage currently doing the MOT and timing belt have not got back to me with a definitive answer nor a price to do the work if needed. I suspect they were trying to get me to cancel the timing belt as I know they are very busy and took me 3 weeks to get an appointment. And 2 days to fit a timing belt only and MOT it seems a very long time.

I'm beginning to think the mention of engine Knock was a ploy to get me to cancel the timing belt change. It's only belt and pulleys, no Water pump. Plus MOT. 2 days seems like a long time. I know they are very busy and it took 3 weeks to get the appointment. The boss and the office manager both said it was a pig of a job to do on an A class Moho.
Actually I bought it last year with 32k on the clock and I put the other 6k on recently going to Greece.

Please do not rush to read anything into the garage wanting the vehicle for 2 days , it is now a very old vehicle, they may have been concerned about lead times for new parts. Lots of people have trouble getting the correct timing belt and associated parts plus often other broken parts are found doing the job that are not part of the belt kit and sometimes very hard to find.
Did they ask you to cancel belt change?

On vehicle this age you would be sensible to mot first then think belt change.

Has the vehicle had yearly oil changes throughout its life?
Did you get it serviced when you bought it?

Cheers
Jack

Please do not rush to read anything into the garage wanting the vehicle for 2 days , it is now a very old vehicle, they may have been concerned about lead times for new parts. Lots of people have trouble getting the correct timing belt and associated parts plus often other broken parts are found doing the job that are not part of the belt kit and sometimes very hard to find.
Did they ask you to cancel belt change?

On vehicle this age you would be sensible to mot first then think belt change.

Has the vehicle had yearly oil changes throughout its life?
Did you get it serviced when you bought it?

Cheers
Jack
I've no idea about its history, there's very little info I got with the vehicle last year. The timing belt and pulleys I supplied (Gates). As I heard nothing today I rang this afternoon and the boss answered. I said I'm ringing about the noisy engine and if he had any news and what damage there is. He said "what noisy engine". Then went on to say it would go into day 3 due to waiting for a new CV joint. Which I knew nothing about. I'm now convinced it was one of the workers ringing about noisy engine therefore not worth doing the belt as he didn't want to do it. The boss seemed to think it was me who mentioned noisy engine and said it was probably the whirinring CV joint I heard. All very strange.

Did they ask you to cancel the belt change?

Did you have it serviced when you got it?

Nice that they let you supply the belt kit , lots of places stay clear of that because of the problems caused if the wrong kit provided and potentially a vehicle stuck on ramp preventing them doing other work

Hi,

I would like to help but you don't appear willing to answer all the questions posed/ provide information.

Good luck
Best wishes

Jack

Last edited:
Back